or Connect

Posts by heatherr30

With both my kids the only thing that worked long-term was setting limits and saying no.  Gentle weaning did not really wean my children at all.  I like nursing on a schedule because you can then plan to be somewhere discreet during nursing times and not live in fear of your toddler trying to undress you every 5 minutes in church, for example. :) I think your LO needs to be a little bit older before they can really understand a schedule, though.  25 months old was a good...
My kids were both offered solid foods via "baby led weaning" after 6 months but didn't eat much till well over 1 yr.  DD in fact didn't eat much till left at the baby sitter at 19 months and DS after I initiated partial weaning at 16 months.  DD loved experimenting with solids at 6 months and would grab my food away but DS didn't really get into it till a few months later. Neither used solids as a way to satisfy hunger till BM wasn't an option.  I would not worry that...
DS does have nursing sessions where he seems more into turning upside down and dancing around than drinking any milk, I tend to cut the session short after a few minutes if I don't feel like being bounced on.  He will either accept that and go play, or protest loudly and then get more down to business when I offer him a second chance. 
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! I am also vegan-curious and have been trying to cut down on my and my family's animal protein intake! One thing I had problems with was too much weight loss (Im also breastfeeding.)  Another problem you can experience (sorry if TMI) when increasing fruits, veg, legumes and nuts is too much gas! I agree with PP, start slowly, maybe serve beans, nuts or tofu alongside a half portion or less of your regular meat in the...
I just want to point out one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet which is that plant milks contain many of the nutrients but none of the fibre of the original plant.  Both my kids had problems with high fibre natural plant foods.  They reacted badly to dried fruit, nut sauces, whole grains, etc (eg diaper rash / constipation or diarrhea).  DD had this problem till the age of 2 or 3 and DS still does at 15 months.  I was/ am breastfeeding but if I wasn't I would...
It takes DD 1 hour... 30 min to wake up and have b-fast and another 30 to get dressed, go to the toilet, wash her face and brush her teeth. She is playing a lot and not really trying to get ready quickly... I have got DS to get ready too so I cant follow her around the whole morning.  She knows how to do most of the things herself with a little prep on my part (ie fixing her breakfast, laying out her clothes, etc) and I give her plenty of prompting and help her if she...
altho I love nursing my 16 month old, I think I am ready to stop bfing him on demand.  When would it be ok to start getting him used to being fed on a rough schedule?  Ideally he would eat/drink for nutrition and nurse for comfort, ie at bed and nap time and upon waking up, or when sick, etc and then take his meals with the rest of the children. (I will be working from home as a childminder in the fall when he is 1 1/2.) At the moment I am not sure that he would...
DD loved it too when she was finally diaper-free!  This is a great milestone for them and it was wonderful to watch how proud my 2 yr old DD was, and how much more happy being an active participant in pottying, rather than unwillingly being changed.  Unfortunately at the age of 1 their understanding of cause and effect is still fuzzy so they can't reason that "go in the potty then you don't have to wear a diaper".    I think just letting the bare bottom time (and the...
I have been holding him over the toilet since 3 wks but still can't get him to sit on the potty.  He will only pee there while he is nursing and even then he is just as likely to wait till he is done nursing as he knows I will then take him to the toilet. He is walking now and I feel he wants to be more independent...The toilet is not working too well either... I want him to pee and poo on the potty so that gradually he can experiment with getting there himself. Any...
It only took a few of those "half-misses" you described for my 2 yr old DD to get it. At 1 yr old... she'll get it, but it will take longer, and you've no way of knowing HOW long. Also, even when she gets it, it could be another year or 2 before she is potty independent. (ie she will still need reminders) Heck, DD has been PT for over 2 yrs now, and at 4 peed her pants just the other day--out of the blue--because she didn't have time to go to the bathroom!  BTW,...