or Connect

Posts by heatherr30

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!  Now I have a lot of different ideas to try.  It seems to be all kinds of beans and lentils (I have tried every single kind offered in my supermarket) and tofu which offend.. soy milk is ok but maybe that's because I have it normally for breakfast without vegetables?  Yesterday I served an absolutely lethal combination.. brown lentils and sprouts... sorry if TMI!!!  It made me realize it could be the combination of eating more veg...
Thanks tooraloora.  I've been watching my folate and calcium intakes but hadn't given iron a thought. A quick estimate of today's food comes up with 19 gm.  Could be higher but I doubt I'm having low iron already after only 2 months of eating plant foods? I've also googled around a bit about iron, in the future will make sure to serve it up with Vit C.  Also good to know that if I opt to eat some animal products sometimes or feed them to my kids, eggs would make a...
Yes I soak the beans overnight then cook in fresh water.. after 10 min boiling (when there are plenty of bubbles on top of the water) I rinse and cook again in fresh water. Going looking for products you mentioned tomorrow.   Really, you don't get gas any more from beans?  How long does that take?  I've been eating beans for 2 months now, should it take longer than that to adjust?  DH doesn't fart at all, which is very weird because he used to have digestive problems...
anjsmama thanks for the informative post.  very interesting stuff.  You're probably right that I need to be snacking more during the day.   Thanks for reminding me about smoothies, I make them sometimes for breakfast but they would probably also make a good snack or before-bed snack.    Tooraloora I feel well in general, thanks for asking.  Some things are better than before (my skin allergies disappeared), and I realized I am lactose intolerant which I never knew...
Can anyone give me some tips or tell me how long it will take for me to adjust to eating so many beans? The vegan food pyramid I saw said I need to be having 3 servings of beans or soy a day.  I have soy milk for breakfast, that means 1/2 cup of beans or tofu each for lunch and dinner. I am very against the idea of having over-processed soy protein with every meal, I want to eat beans.  They don't make me uncomfortable or anything but I have horrible smelling gas! ...
Oh and you probably have one already but if you don't, a good blender or even a cheap coffee grinder makes it easier to add healthy fats (nuts and seeds) to baby's diet to complement the breastfeeding, once you and he are ready for that.
Like pp described, the first 18 months or so were overwhelming.  Hard to get anything done with a baby in the house!   We bought a microwave (not really a healthy move but it was better than eating cold sandwiches without margarine all the time (I couldn't spread the margarine one-handed so ate without :))  I find the best way to prepare food is to cut up the veg and fill up the steamer or casserole dish, etc whenever I have a free moment then it is all ready to go.  In...
how much of it can i expect after switching to a near-vegetarian diet? I have lost 7 lbs, BMI now under 18.5 making me underweight (I have always been skinny but now don't have time to exercise to build muscle), and breastfeeding a 1 yr old for most of his daily calories. Is this amount of weight loss normal?  Is it related to the diet switch or the breastfeeding or both? Will the weight slowly come back on again? I know there are no black and white answers just...
We are having a potty strike here.  In the last couple of weeks my 1 yr old DS has been learning to walk and he has started refusing to stay on the toilet long enough to poop, then he poops in his diaper a few minutes later. I respect that he isnt devoting his attention to EC at the moment and is going to have less control than usual.  I also respect that he doesn't want to sit still on the toilet.  But, how to I keep some semblance of EC going so that he doesn't...
Thank you Mrs Slocombe for your reply!  It makes a lot of sense. I think you've hit the nail on the head that DD likes things "plain".  She will eat plain kidney beans (but sorts out the ones with cracks and puts those on my plate.)  Now I realize this is why she refuses lentils or beans in a sauce.  Even the veggie burgers I've made so far were not well ground so you could see that it was made of lentils, that's probably why she wouldn't try it. Now I can try a few...