or Connect

Posts by ishtarmaia

I guess whoever owned this pan before me must have cooked over a fire with it. I have soaked it in soapy water for days and scrubbed the outside with steel wool with minimal success. Any ideas?
Leomom, I agree with Bellinghamcrunchie. You just have to stay strong. Set your boundaries--it is a very healthy thing for you to do, whether they like it or not, and most of the time people who don't have healthy boundaries resent them being set, so you will have to deal with resistance. I think you did everything right in trying to compromise in the situation. You offered every possible solution without caving and cancelling your own plans to accomodate them. ...
Yeah, I'm feelin' ya over here. My IL's have never liked me. Actually FIL is not nearly as bad as MIL when it comes to being judgemental, hateful and bitter; he's more indifferent, unless MIL tries to play him onto her side when she's being really hateful. I too, have tried everything to make peace, but it has become clear that they do not respect me (MIL, anyway) or my way of parenting my children, how I live my life, etc. I guess the only way I have been able to...
Alright MamaE, I'm so proud of you! I made it through the day today, too--WHEW!!! I was even having some nasty cravings (I think I'm PMSing), but I settled for salty instead of sweet. Hope everyone else had a good day. Love to all,
It is actually SCARY how many foods have sugar in them when you start looking at labels. Canned chipolte peppers, pasta sauce, crackers--for gosh sakes, is nothing sacred from the clutches of the white death? But part of that is our dependence on processed and packaged foods, too. Eating sugar free requires a lot of vigilance and more whole food choices in my experience. Man, it IS hard with the kiddos. Mine go to their grandparents to spend the night about twice a...
I got some of that yummy delicious Kim Chee made by Rejuvenative Foods and it says on the jar that it is only veggies and salt, left to ferment for 5-7 days in a stainless steel container. So my question is, if it's that easy to make, why am I paying $10 a jar for it? (It is one of my RARE grocery splurges) Does anyone have recipes? What type of container? Wouldn't glass work, too? If only I could figure it out, I would be eating this delicious healthy probiotic food...
O.K., FWIW, I have some ideas. First off, I have a friend that is a nutritional counselor and he says that sugar shuts down your nervous system, effectively cutting off your feelings, so maybe we should all ask ourselves, what is it we are feeling that we don't want to feel and are trying to cover up with sugar? It IS just another emotional cover-up addiction like alcohol or marijuana or sex---pick your poison. I'm not saying I have it licked completely (no pun...
I want to make oatmeal for the fam in the a.m. and I put 2 cups of scottish, irish, or steel-cut oats up to soak, but now what? How long do they have to soak? And how much H2O should I put in when I cook them in the a.m.? Can I put them in the crock pot? How long?? Please help! TIA!!!
My family's fave kale dish is this: Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms in oil or ghee for a few minutes (until soft), then add a bunch of finely chopped or sliced kale. Put the lid on and let it steam, adding water if needed and braggs or tamari for seasoning. When it is beautifully bright green, pour in about 6 or more beaten eggs and let that cook slowly (I like to do this in my cast-iron) until the eggs are set and fully cooked, and voila! Serve with bread or...
Hello, ladies. I finally bought some meat for my family, chicken breasts and legs with the bones and skin on them, and I don't know what to do with them. Should I just throw it all in the crockpot? Need advice, please! TIA!!!