or Connect

Posts by ishtarmaia

I have been switching sides over the years (raised lacto-ovo veggie) for different reasons; rebellion, uber hippiedom :LOL , pregnancy, weight loss, etc. I have been vegan for the past 5 months or so (mostly for weight loss reasons), but I am still getting the feeling that my diet is not quite right for this body. I stopped eating dairy because it obviously makes me fat (cheese and yogurt was all I ever ate, raw and organic whenever possible). Meat I do enjoy, but I...
I don't know what wild hair caused this experiement, but I soaked 2 1/2 cups of rice for about 18 hours and now I want to make something out of it and don't know how. I was thinking of rice pudding with raisins (YUM!). I know the water to rice ratio has to be different when the rice is already soaked overnight. Can anyone help me?
Thanks for the info., iwearredsocks. I guess in the end it comes down to the same thing---there is ALWAYS conflicting information when you research any subject and you have to decide what resonates with you personally and make your decision based on that. (See quote in my signature)
Hey ladies! I was doing some research on PCOS for my best friend that has it and I found this thread---YAY!!! I called her and directed her here. I know you all will give her some good support and information. She wants to try some natural alternatives to the usual pharmaceutical course of action. I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, but I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge for her to share. Thanks to all of you for starting and keeping this thread going. ...
We may be getting a little off subject, but since it came up, ghee is a wonderful alternative to oil that works for baking, frying, etc. Won't work for vegans, I'm afraid since it's made from cow milk butter, but it is fabulous! Highly recommended by Ayurvedic practitioners and used for MANY centuries for health and healing, it is basically clarified butter, meaning that the butter has been cooked at very low temp. to remove the cholesterol and half the fat, so it has...
Man, I am feeling for that poor, poor little baby! I am trying to find compassion in my heart for everyone. How sad it is for the baby and the momma---she must be in some kind of deep denial to allow her son to be put through that. She obviously REALLY FEELS that she doesn't have a say (she is powerless), therefore, she is allowing the torture of her own child. It reminds me to put my energy not towards the horror, but towards the empowerment of all humans everywhere,...
Oh, yeah, I forgot to ask originally, but if anyone would... it would be extremely helpful to have links to refer to for info. purposes. Thanks to anyone who provided them already. I am wanting to compile a list, but also to be able to give links to info. that explains WHY not to eat these things, YKWIM? Hope everyone is having a lovely day! It's raining here and I am loving it! Liquid sunshine, I say! My garden loves it, too!
Thanks so much to everyone for your contributions to my list. Feel free to add more as they come to you. Zip, canola is a genetically modified version of rapeseed, which is not fit for human consumption. Even if it is sold as cold-pressed, organic canola, it is still a GMO. Canola is not the name of a plant, the Can comes from Canada, where much rapeseed is grown, and ola is oil. Even a contrived name. You an do a search on canola and find more info. about it and...
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am going to see the mom and babe again this week (our kids go to school together and we have playdates) and I will check on the little guy's bum. I saw her in the car line this morning and she said the salve that I dropped off for her was helping a lot. Thank GOD!!! Anyway, if it is still as bad (or even close), I will approach her with some of these wonderful suggestions. I originally thought yeast, too, but we now have many...
I am trying to compile a list of chemical additives and foods to avoid for health reasons. Please add your suggestions. Here's what I've got so far: Bleached, enriched, refined flour products Hydrogenated oils Refined sugars Corn syrup (regular and high fructose) Caffeine BHT MSG RBGH Hormones (general) Pesicides (general, feel free to list specifics) Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, saccharin) Food colorings (except natural ones likes annatto,...