or Connect

Posts by baltimoremomtobe

Gena...sounds like you had the perfect birth - good for you!  I wrestled with a hb for my didi twins and ran into problems finding a good provider (actually, I felt I needed two providers - one for each baby and myself). The difficulty in finding the right "team" and the out of pocket costs would have been too difficult this time around.  If I have another baby, I'd def like to hb. I opted for a hospital birth and don't regret it even if it I didn't have the "natural...
Yep, the MBON document states Pitocin was given 3 times to stimulate contractions.  While plenty of meds are used "off label", Pitocin is not a med I would use outside of the hospital to augment labor.   
I second Jenga's rec for Bay Area Midwifery.  Have you also checked out Special Beginnings?  They may do VBAC at AAMC.  Lastly, Md. General has a low c/s rate as does University of Maryland Medical Center.  Try to find a hospital with telemetry since you'll likely need continuous EFM in the hospital...that way you can walk around, etc.   Good luck.
Not saying anything for or against this case, but I just wanted to point out a baby can survive for hours (yes, hours) while becoming acidemic in utero.  Although outcomes have not been shown to improve with continuous EFM we know that the "type" of strip we are looking at can be indicative of fetal acidemia in utero...in layman's terms, the strip can look crappy and be a cause for immediate delivery (i.e. c-section).  We don't have a strip to review in this case since...
FWIW, Novella, I think the length of time someone is on Mothering.com says little to nothing about their education level or expertise/interest in birth-related issues.  I joined when I got pregnant a year ago (a pregnancy lost to miscarriage), but I have been a birth worker for years and my experience and interest base is wide.   I do think there are risks in the hospital, but I also think it is questionable to assume that just because there are one or two people out...
Thanks for your feedback, lilmonkey's.  I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with didi twins and also a primip.  I have been agonizing hospital vs. home birth for the delivery.  There are some options in my area, but not many.  It's frustrating and the level of intervention I've already received (transvaginal ultrasounds every week for the past month for a short cervix scare) are just the beginning.  I'm unsatisfied with my current care - everyone's been nice and highly...
Thanks, JBK.  My mama friends were telling the other group of friends to wait until they talked to me.  These other (non-mamas) went ahead and bought the item in excitement of the price.  Unfortunately, it's a pricey stroller and it's literally too big for my trunk.  I told my mama friend that I'd looked at the dimensions of both strollers and the larger one (the one they bought) is a tad too big for my trunk. It actually would be a pain to try and squeeze it in...
I registered for an expensive item that I was unsure I would get as a gift.  Turns out my friends wanted to get said gift for me - except they bought a rival brand (equally as good, perhaps better), but the item is "gently used".  The item is very pricey still, but I chose my original item because it fit my particular needs (space/weight constraints).  How can I politely say that I don't want the other, used gift that isn't exactly what I was looking for without seeming...
I'm almost 11.5 weeks and I've had 3 official U/S.  One at 5.5 weeks (twins were diagnosed) and a second at 7.5 weeks for the early dating scan.  My OB also checked during my first prenatal visit and said that she will likely use an U/S to check for the FHR each time I go.  If it's between an U/S under less than 5 minutes vs. 10 or more minutes of a doppler rooting around for 2 heartbeats, I think the U/S is less invasive and less disruptive to my womb IMHO.   I've...
Hi PAL ladies...   Is there a time when we can start to feel less anxious about a m/c?  I know that 12 weeks is a general rule of thumb, but I found out about my last loss right around this time (~10 weeks).  I continue to feel lots of pregnancy symptoms, no bleeding/cramping and a horrible, intense fatigue/insomnia that won't go away.  I guess this is all good news :-)  Just wondering if/when you all started to feel more at ease with the pregnancy?  Outside of...