or Connect

Posts by jessemoon

It must be hard with a tiny nursling. Can you wear the baby in a sling and type around him that way instead of balancing him on your lap?  Does he wake up early? Can you sneak out of bed for an hour or so before he wakes up? As he gets older, it will be easier to imagine that someone else could keep him happy while you are working in the other room.  I agree with whoever said that you have to treat it like a job, otherwise it drifts to the back burner.  Are you someone...
Just juiced and canned  four five-gallon buckets of plums.  I have a box of pears left to process later this week.  I've pickled and canned up a storm this summer!  
I'm in the middle of it now with two kids. It's hard, but I'm forging ahead. You can do it!
I'm glad it went well!
Blue Man is loud.  It is also funny and engaging, so he will probably be interested in much of it.  I would worry more about him squirming and seat kicking the seat in front of him.   Practice applauding and practice sitting looking forward at the stage.    A lollipop or some small (not crinkly wrappered) forbidden treats (small like m&ms) to be doled out one at a time might not be a bad idea.   The show that I saw had a moment in the end when the entire...
My son had no interest in drawing or coloring AT ALL until he was 51/2.  He would, under duress, perhaps draw a picture for someone's birthday and it was always cursory and he didn't like the process at all. Now, at 71/2 he draws up a storm, but has never colored in a coloring book. He doesn't see the point.   My daughter (4) has loved to draw from the time she could hold a crayon (mostly scribbling until recently) and ADORES coloring.  She loves to fill in the...
If it's because of night-time pee accidents, then I have a better solution for you!   We bought several of the big washable puppy training pads (the ones for large breeds) at Petsmart.  They are ultra absorbent. I stitched them together and put them under our sheets. That way, if somebody pees, then it doesn't hit the mattress.  Works like a charm.    
I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I have just been trying to employ the "go outside and don't come in for 30 minutes" rule...I'm glad that school has finally started for the older one. Now, just two more weeks until the little one spends her mornings at preschool.    I LOVE my children. I ADORE their sweet little souls.  When I'm trying to do homework, though, I think wistfully of boarding schools and live-in nannies who hustle children off to the nursery on another...
While it may be the case that some families can't be bothered to prioritize buying school supplies for their kids...it also seems to me that a sense of basic decency would ask us to help those kids. It is not the fault of the children that their parents may be selfish or lazy or just plain poor.  The kids still need to have the opportunity to learn and school supplies are part of how that happens.    I have to say, I get tired of discussions of school supplies,...
I'm working on my PhD through a hybrid distance/face-to-face program. I spend two weeks in the summer in an on-campus residency and the rest of the year is online.  I was skeptical, but it's working fine.  I'm super busy, but it's working.  I don't work well at night, so I do my homework on the days that kids are at school and I don't work (I work two days a week) and save housework for the evenings.   We eat more quick meals than we used to and my house is not as...