or Connect

Posts by crunchyruchie

Thanks so much to both of you! Sky, I must have missed that in the hypnotic childbirth 2 track. I tend to get very, very sleepy.
Hi, All, I'm really hoping that people can chime in with a response to this question! I'm 39 weeks and have been doing hypnobabies for the last several months. I've finished all of the reading and I'm now in the maintainance stage.   So, here's my question: In one of the chapters, hypnobabies recommends that we turn our light switch off during the pushing stage and that we vocalize. But,most of us will move during the pushing stage, if only slightly, by tensing our...
Hi, All,   So, DH and I are going to cosleep, but we were thinking of buying a crib as backup (for naps, really) and as I was looking at mattresses, I was like, "Oh, OF COURSE we'll be buying an organic mattress for the crib." Then, I got to thinking about our own mattress. I know, like why hasn't this occurred to me before, right!? At any rate, there are a lot of problems. It's a relatively new (under two years old) foam mattress I bought from Target. So, it's...
Okay, so this is an older thread, but did you end up using the changing pad for the purposes of cosleeping, Identity crisis mama? I was planning on buying the naturepedic changing pad for diaper changes, and I wonder if this might solve the cosleeping dilemma, too. I, like you, am a light sleeper who tosses and turns. For that reason, once the baby gets here, dh and I will be sleeping in separate beds in separate rooms. I was planning on buying and using this:...
Okay, so here's an update: My midwife got back to me about my question concerning the difference between an oxygen mask and a mask to incubate, and it would seem that they're quite different. A mask and bag are placed over the surface of a baby's face to deliver oxygen, but a mask to incubate requires an invasive procedure that involves placing a tube down a baby's throat. While I'm not 100% positive, It seems that the vast majority of homebirth midwives aren't trained...
Oh, one more thing: I found this link that talks about the benefits of using room air (with bag & mask) and mouth to mouth for resuscitation. There's also a discussion of various studies comparing the use of oxygen and room air. It helped to put my mind at ease, and maybe others will find it useful!     http://www.homebirth.net.au/2008/04/resuscitation-of-newborn.html
quantum leap, my earlier comments were not at all directed at you. I asked my initial question because my assumption was that there would be people in this forum (particularly midwives and people who were experienced with homebirth) who could provide me with thoughtful responses, and yours was among them. I think you raise a good point about how oxygen would be transmitted to the baby without a mask to intubate, and this is something that I intend to bring up.   I...
Thanks so much to those of you--the vast majority--who provided such great feedback to me! It's very appreciated. Here's a prompt reply from my awesome midwife via e-mail:   "I apologize if I had misspoken. I do carry oxygen to all births - a size D tank, similar to all of the midwives including CNMs in the community providing out of hospital care. What I do not carry is a mask to intubate (this can sometimes help inflate the lungs) and no other midwife in town...
Okay, now. Just to be clear, my midwife has an undergraduate degree at a top tier university, along with five years of training--both practical and professional--before becoming a licensed midwife. She's caught over a hundred babies, has excellent statistics, and has apprenticed with every established midwife in town, some of whom are CNMs (I live in a city in which midwifery is quite popular, and we have a thriving birth community). She's not an idiot and I'm not an...
 Thanks for all of your input. I think it might have something to do with it being unsafe to transport oxygen, though I'm not sure, as some people clearly transport it without anything terrible happening. Sigh. I guess I'll just ask her about it.