or Connect

Posts by crunchyruchie

Hi, all! I'm planning my first birth, which is going to be a homebirth, with a local CPM. I really, really like her, but I've become worried about one thing: she doesn't bring oxygen to births. Is this normal? Does this make homebirth less safe? I noticed that even in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, she says that this is one of the questions that a prospective client should ask. It just never occurred to me, until much later, because I just got such a great vibe from her...
Yeah, I think it's pretty funny how "convinced" I am, despite there being any evidence whatsoever! I don't know about you all, but I'm definitely finding out about gender at around 20 weeks, so I'll update you all then ; ) It will be fun to find out what all of you are having, too, if you're inclined not to wait.   Oh, a question: have any of you tried the chinese gender predictor chart? I've read online that it's 90% accurate. In my case, it suggested I was having a...
I've definitely been having distinct boy feelings from almost the beginning. I really want a girl, but I know that I'll be happy with a boy, too. It makes this kind of tricky because I'm pretty sure that we're only going to have one baby, so it would be nice if we got a girl (it's what dh wants, too) but I keep thinking about all of the sweet boys I know and have known and that makes me feel better. It will be wonderful either way. I'm so convinced it's a boy that I...
Count me in, too! I'm planning a home birth. It's our first pregnancy, but I always knew that I wanted a home birth if I lived in a state in which it was possible. I happen to live in WI now, where the laws for midwifery practice are pretty great. I found a really wonderful person, so we're all set!
Hi, I just wanted to say that I've been having similar sensations. While I can't say I've been experiencing any sort of fever, I do have a ton of congestion and my lower back hurts in the evenings. This is my first pregnancy, so I can't liken them to actual contractions. I will say, though, that they feel like menstrual cramps and the only thing that helps is my husband rubbing my back and putting counter pressure against my back.   I was worried at first, but it...
Thanks for chiming in, Lynann and Porcelina! I completely understand how and why having a close friend be your midwife wouldn't necessarily be a big deal. For me, I think it has to do with the person to whom she is married--my advisor! Since birth is such a primitive, right brained kind of thing, and the sphincter law is a pretty real issue, I would rather not have to think about the connections between my academic life and the process of birthing.   So, I found a...
Question: I've heard wonderful things about red raspberry tea, and I'm eager to try it, but I've also heard some alarming information about it increasing the odds of miscarriage in the first trimester. I should ask my midwife about it at my next appointment, but since several of you have mentioned taking it, did any of you ever worry about the miscarriage possibility? Is this just nonsense?  
I know, right!? I'm like, "slooow down fellas! You have nine months to become ginormous and feel irritated." They're on a mission, though.  
I can relate to everything all of you are saying. I have anticipated this baby for many, many years, and this is our first, but it still feels so unbelievable. I thought it would take us months and months to get pregnant (I'm 30 and husband's 36) but we got pregnant on the second try. I keep thinking it's too good to be true, that something will happen, and that I'll have to tell the more than handful of people I've already told (I had a terrible case of vertigo the...
Yeah, so for me it's the RAGE!!!! I haven't yelled at anyone, but I keep telling my dh that I'm writing off a particular friendship, and I have these dreams about people with whom I work being out to get me. It's totally crazy, and I've never experienced any sort of pms, so I'm not accustomed to feeling weepy, irritated, and generally unsettled as a result of hormones. It's all very new. My boobs have gotten even more sore as the days have passed, and they seem to have...