or Connect

Posts by Jwebbal

Quote: Originally Posted by New Mama Do you have links with more info on this? I've never used it and it scares me a little. I have never understood how someone on this board could disdain aluminum and thimerosal in vaccines, and then give their child silver (which does build up in the body). ...
I would hardly call ourselves independently wealthy. Flying is a huge expense for us, we have only done it a handful of times, when visiting family seemed important. We are in the same boat, my grandmother is in her 80's, the rest of my father's family lives near her, but my father doesn't. Which family am I supposed to move closer to? My father? My grandmother? I can hardly move my lesbian headed family to MO or MT.
Honestly I have never heard o 4 yo laziness? There are kids who will sit in bed all day? Not my guy. Anyway, why not insist on an EKG? It is probably nothing, but at least you made sure. An EKG is harmless and easy enough to do for the kid.
Quote: Originally Posted by HennyPenny I agree with this one too. death hurts. and birth comes with NO guarantee. the point is if my baby died in the hospital I would be left thinking "what if I didn't come here? what if she/he would have made it better at home left to be?" and if my child died in my arms at home I would think "did I loose this child b/c I didn't do something right? what if I had a midwife or doctor to help me?" See,...
For me it still is that I am afforded a seat, with a seat belt, why would I afford my baby anything less? To save money? The amount of money is not much when I consider the possible regret I might inflict on myself if something were to happen to my child and I didn't afford him the same level of protection I had. Yes, the chances of it happening are slight, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility. It isn't that difficult for me to do it.
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan Yes, being unrestrained during turbulence is dangerous. However the claim made earlier in this thread that being held in a lap is the same as being unrestrained hasn't been supported. I disagree completely. The child is not being restrained by a seat belt period.
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan Ah, okay. In that case I suspect a lot of families just don't travel from 2 years to 40lbs. Or 35lbs and heavy clothes. But that's not a money thing, that's an awkwardness of dealing with the carseat thing. honestly, I didn't find it all that difficult. By that time my kid was walking and carrying his own stuff. I had the car seat on an umbrella stroller. Oh, and when he was a baby, I...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan You had your kids in car seats on the plane after their 2nd birthdays? Now that's something I didn't look into, how many kids in seatbelts on airplanes could've been saved by being in car seats. Oh, most definitely here as well. We went across country last March, my son was 4.5, and he traveled in his Marathon. I ditched the seat for one short leg, and regreted it. He couldn't see out the...
I don't know how else to make this clear. I am arguing that parents have a duty to protect their babies, even while flying. It may be a requirement someday that child restraints be used on airplanes for children under 2, or it might not. But as parents, it is my belief that if we fly with our children we can make the choice to protect our children as much as we are protecting ourselves, by restraining them in their own seat. I made that choice. I understand not...
Quote: Originally Posted by EviesMom According to research, actually, this is not true: “We did not consider serious non-fatal injuries, but with this regulation, the statistics on those probably would look even worse,” Newman said. “Serious nonfatal injuries are less common than deaths from air travel, but 80 times more common than deaths for car travel. Thus virtually any substitution from air to car travel would increase serious injuries.” Other...