or Connect

Posts by Jwebbal

Quote: Hazards associated with the on-lap position are also well documented in aircraft crash investigations. Three children on the laps of adults were fatally injured and others nonfatally injured in the 1987 crash in Denver, CO, the 1989 crash in Sioux City, IA, and the 1994 crash in Charlotte, NCwhich were all caused by turbulence.19-21 The NTSB has reported 2 crashes in which CSSs were used and provided protection to...
How much weight has she lost? What color is her urine? How much urine is she putting out? From the sounds of it, she definitely seems dehydrated, more than I myself am comfortable being okay with without being seen by a healthcare provider. Personally I have given oral rehydration fluids in a child that old, if they were definitely dehydrated. Breastmilk is wonderful, but if they weren't drinking enough, I might get something with more electrolytes in it. Perhaps you...
But most children in the US do not contract Hep A, there are only a handful of states where there are high enough numbers to recommend vaccination, and even in those states the rate is very low. All this to say, Hep A infection is rare in children, much more likely in adults where of course the infection is more troublesome. Not arguing the child should get this vaccine mind you, but for my own child, definitely something I will look at him getting when he is older.
The point is that there are no real statistics on how many lap children are injured during turbulence, rough landings or take-offs, or emergency landings. These occur much more often than crashes. We can talk number of children or people who die during these things, but the real issue is injury, not death. Obviously death is terrible, but really we are trying to avoid injury, including to other people. As for offering half price fares, of course they should, for the...
Hepatitis A is usually a pretty benign illness in children, however, it is easily passed on to adults who can become very ill. I have experienced Hep A myself, something I don't wish on anyone.
Oh, and in the article it also mentions that there were a few injuries during descent as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by kcstar The article I've read says that the fasten seat belt light was on. Now, whether it got turned on WHILE she was in the bathroom, or she got up to go ignoring the light, I do not know. She ignored the sign and got up anyway. My argument still stands, this woman broke her neck, a lap child could sustain serious injuries, as well as injure others. When my son was under 2 we got half price fares each time,...
From the above link Quote: Two (8%) of the 25 total case-patients reported having household contact with a known carrier of hepatitis B (HBsAg). No risk factor was identified for eight (32%) cases.
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan How is that relevant to whether in-arms children are safe on airplanes? Hmm, you don't see the relevance in a woman unrestrained getting her neck broken during severe tubulence to an unrestrained lap baby who might also experience severe turbulence? I have said it many times before, if the flight attendants deem it necessary to restrain coffee pots during flight, why would my baby deserve anything less?...
I have to agree with the EMT. My wife works in an ER, and I sleep better knowing she is less likely to get Hep B from a possible needle stick. She had one years ago, and it was a very scary scenario. We were worried about HIV, but it turns out Hep B was a bigger risk. I am glad she gets the shots she does to reduce exposure to her family members. She even gets the flu vaccine, in the rare chance it will lessen any exposure to her patients if she gets it before she...