or Connect

Posts by Partaria

I've just had one child so I can't share any personal experience on a second birth. But I want to tell you that there is nothing selfish about wanting a VBAC. There wouldn't be anything selfish about wanting a repeat cesarean either. Because this isn't about being selfish, this is about you deciding what the best way for you to greet a new little person is. That means whole physical AND mental health. And if to you that means VBAC then dammit, that is your right, that is...
A friend of mine wrote this post about the term "unecesarean." She had a long labor followed by an unexpected cesarean. Thought it might resonate with some here. http://homebirthcesarean.com/?p=765
YES. I can totally relate. It makes me feel victimized all over again, except this time, by memories. And I get down and always wonder- will I always be this way? Bah. It's terribly unfair.   I'm sorry you had that experience and boo to chipper nurse. I'm glad the OB was compassionate.    You have done nothing wrong, and having access to these deep feelings means you are in touch with yourself and aware of your feelings. You are not cut off from them, which...
Oh that is so hard. I can hear how much you wanted a vaginal birth, and you worked so hard to get it.    I hear you when you talk about what that means in terms of your womanliness, your body's ability to perform what seems like an essential female function. The way I've made sense of that is to simply say- is my mouth not a part of me too? Is my heart, my brain? When I say- I have done all I can, I need more tools to get my baby into my arms, when I open my mouth...
Oh mama. You have pain and regrets because even though your children are here and healthy, your dreams of the way you wanted to enter motherhood were lost. That is sad and a real grief. I'm sorry that happened twice to you. You are truly a warrior.   I second everything CI Mama said. Talking, sharing, sleeping, finding meaning, and physical trauma healing. All so important. Massage was a huge help in allowing me to return to my body, a place I had felt was no longer...
Regarding our birth stories being scary. Here's my thoughts on this. Can you imagine if we applied that to other places?    Oh, let's not teach airline pilots how to fly a plane with a damaged engine or wing. It might scare them! See how nuts that is? And I can say from experience that what IS scary is being wheeled into an OR with absolutely NO knowledge of what cesarean is or looks like or will entail. That's what's REALLY scary. 
Here's my big issue with a lot of this. Birth isn't wine and roses for all of us. It's a bloody messy business. The fact of the matter is it is creation and a rite of passage so it's BIG. LIFE CHANGING. And not all changes and rites of passage are gentle, even if we plan them that way. Some of them are wild and scary and unpredictable and you feel like you barely made it out alive. That does not mean it is any less meaningful, heroic, important, memorable, or worth...
Hi Mamas-   On March 16th another mama and I are hosting a storytelling show at Arboretum Cohousing. It's essentially an open mic (we want to hear your stories!) on the theme of "Mother Knows Best - Stories of Birth, Mothering, and Female Intuition."  Share a story about your birth, your legendary grandma, or a moment of profound knowing that you had as a woman. All stories welcome as long as they are under 6 minutes. :) The show is kid-friendly, please bring a...
What area in WI? If you are coming to Madison I can give you the names of some of our local CNMs who will attend an HBAC.
I wanted to share this incredible project with you all here in the HB forum.  This project, Homebirth Cesarean, is something I came upon when healing from my homebirth that ended in c/s nearly 20 months ago. My midwives were amazing, as was my partner and doula. They went to the hospital with me and supported me. But I was so devastated to lose out on the homebirth I dreamed of.  Then I found this incredible project. A homebirth cesarean mama and her midwife, after...