or Connect

Posts by Partaria

Hi BeautyForAshes...   So, confession time... my kiddo doesn't do this (yet) but um, I did when I was a kid?    I remember doing this as late as age 4 and 5. I had little "places" around the house and I would hide little things. Just as you describe- just kinda whatever. Papers, playing cards, legos, old keys.    I grew out of it. I don't even know if my parents knew. But I also wasn't hiding things people used regularly, like their working car keys, so it...
That's great advice, skycheattraffic. Thank you for sharing your experience!    Right now, DS's "room" is actually what I suspect was once a walk-in closet off our bedroom that no longer has a real door on it (we live in a 150 year old building cut into funky apartments). There is a curtain between him and us, but nothing else. The twin bed sounds good- I think we will try that once we move and he has a for real room with space. :) Or maybe I could try reading in the...
@MeepyCat   THANK YOU. I think I just maybe needed to hear someone say that I'm not totally screwing up this stage of motherhood. It is hard to feel like I'm doing it right a lot of the time. We are moving in a few weeks to a larger place, and there will be much more room to roam. I'll make sure we get some baby gates for our place now and for the new one. This is a great idea.    I really appreciate your feedback. :)
Oops--- meant this part in response to the sign language question. :)   We are not. I have tried but it's been difficult to get all his caregivers on board. I don't think they're opposed, just forgetful. :\ I'm also unsure if I'm doing it correctly... do you have any techniques to recommend?
Awww, thank you, AdinaL! It helps to know this is par for the course and it will pass. It is hard to see him overwhelmed and crying and to feel so helpless.
Hi Mamas,   This post is going to be a bit long and probably so clueless that it will sound ridiculous. But I just need some help and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm getting lousy advice and I think you all might be able to help me.   DS is about 13.5 months old. When he was 12 months, I felt great. I survived year one. He and I were really getting a great report and rhythm. I thought that I was really getting into the swing of being a mama. Then it...
Welcome to mothering, Madliyn!   My son was born 10 days past his due date, and was a robust baby. He is 13.5 months now and still doesn't respond to commands like that. I think he understands them a little, I do. But I think for my son, he just doesn't want to comply. Not out of malice, but the world is just so! incredibly! interesting!    For example, if I hold out my hand and ask for the object he's holding he looks at my hand and the object in his hands- I...
I was talking to my therapist today about some of the more challenging moments I had with DS over the holiday. She has known me since I was pregnant, and saw DS several times as a little baby. She recommended "Raising Your Spirited Child."   I'd love to read this, and have always thought DS was spirited (even in the womb!), but I've had others disagree with me, and say that's just how children are- namely DH who is averse to labels of any kind, esp, as he says, for a...
The OP here checking in.   I have to say that the pain didn't subside for us for months. And now, my DS is a little over a year old. I don't think I would ever call our nursing relationship super-comfortable, though it doesn't actually HURT anymore.   We went to LCs and had the latch checked, I took him to a chiropractor, I took him for Craniosacral therapy, I got him checked for tongue-tie. None of it really helped with the nursing. It was simply time. Time time...
DS is about 13 months now, and I am finding it increasingly difficult not to get caught up in worrying about where he is developmentally. Other moms I know who've had babies around the same age will post pics or videos of what their babies are doing, or talk about it, and I constantly am thinking, "My baby doesn't do that! And he's older! Is he okay? What's wrong??"    I never worried about this stuff when he was really little, but now that he's a little older I"m...