or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by KirstenMary

Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy Wow. I have a high-needs DS... who needed to nurse every 15 minutes many days... and where I live, it's not uncommon to get stuck in stalled traffic for an hour++ with nowhere to pull off (no exits for miles & have to keep the breakdown lane open for emergency vehicles)... So yes, I've nursed in the car... almost exclusively in stopped traffic. Obviously we also severely limited car trips, but sometimes...
Quote: Originally Posted by SC_Jan I have to say, I had a screamer who did not travel well and a husband who couldn't handle the crying, and never once did it dawn on me to do such a thing. We just mentally doubled the time it took to get anywhere, stopped as needed, and traveled as little as possible. Sure it was hard, but it's all over now. I do think there is a clear right and wrong here. BF + driving=no,no,no. If a car seat toy that hangs several...
Quote: Originally Posted by childsplay Personally, and I'm saying this in the most gentle way possible, I'd just let it go. The way I look at it is I try not to criticize the gifts my kid's Grandparents (and Great-Grandparents) buy for them. My Grandmother, every year, would faithfully buy Barbies, Doras, Tranformers, Disneyish toys/books for my kid's birthdays and Christmases. I never said a negative thing about any of it, not to the kid's, or...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapientia My children don't get gifts from anyone but me and dh-why? Because my family, (as well as my dh's family,) never thinks to buy something for them. Ever. I know this is coming from my own issues with that, but durn, I'd be happy with a dollar store coloring book from one of the grandparents for my children. And for the record, I never, ever, tried to 'tell' them what to get my kids, it's just that they never...
Quote: Originally Posted by VillageMom6 Thank you, Laohaire. You explained it much better than I could have! When it comes to the OP's mother, I think that many of us are arguing apples versus oranges. It's been my experience that there are two types of challenging mothers/MILs... One type means well but sometimes misses the mark. Things were done differently in her day. She doesn't set out deliberately to cross our boundaries, she's just...
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavenly Honest opinion? You are being way over-controlling. It's a Snow White doll, not a bomb. I think as your daughter gets older this attitude will really backfire on you. Have you ever heard the term "choose your battles"? Is this battle really that important in the long run? I agree with this, but if the battle is important for the OP, that's for her to decide. Quote: Originally Posted...
I don't even know where to start.
Quote: Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to start a debate. I actually misread your post to say "There is no reason for a 4 YO to have a cell phone". That, coupled with "I think 4 is way to young" struck me badly. Ok. Especially since what I actually said was: Quote: There is no reason any of my children need to have one at this age. ETA: I'm cool
Quote: Originally Posted by Llyra I disagree. The poster said Clearly she's speaking about her own situation, not directly about the OPs. The OP asked about when we gave/would give cell phones to our kids, and why we would or would not. The poster was just answering the question. I understand that there might be special circumstances where a parent would consider giving a child a cell phone at an early age. However, I do think that for my...
Quote: Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom You know, this sounds a little judgemental. She did say that 1. her X bought the phone and 2. there seem to be special circumstances here. I know of several children with divorced parents who were given cell phones specifically so they could keep in touch with the non-custodial parent. Given the number of issues I've heard with "my ex won't let me talk to my child" or "my X uses the ability to block phone...
New Posts  All Forums: