or Connect

Posts by mizliz72

Sounds all too familiar to me with my 8 1/2 yo SD, except her shcool work has only now begun to suffer a bit.  She mostly is able to sit and concentrate in school, and it's only this year that her teacher has begun to see that change for the worse.  She's in soccer as well, and for the most part can concentrate on that as well, but if she's not playing (they have subs and rotate kids out) she will go off with other kids not playing or siblings of kids on her team and get...
Does she see her mother often and how often is she with you and your DH?   Re-read my post, her mom died when she was 1. I don't know how much trauma or what-have-you she is experiencing because of that, and if it may have had any influence on her behavior and development, however I met her at age 15 mos., and she has always been aware that her mommy died.  I always felt that it was not fair to her and maybe not appropriate for those grieving around her to instill at...
We are constantly telling 8 yo DSD to get her hands/fingers out of her mouth. A year or so ago she had warts because of it, on a thumb and around her mouth.  Annoys the heck out of me but she won't stop.  And this is another thing to add to the list of things she's only been doing for the past couple of years.  If she is ADHD (we're getting her tested) then  perhaps it has to do with that.
DSD is almost 8 1/2 and is still having occasional bed wetting, which I'm not that concerned with since her dad wet the bed til he was like 11, though it's incredibly annoying.  What concerns me more is her "forgetting" to wipe sometimes when she pees (I don't know how it is at school, but at home we've caught her red-handed so to speak) which has been happening for a couple years now, wetting her undies, and just this year we started finding poop smeared in her...
Well, we have tried to tell her that if she honestly has an accident, we aren't going to be mad, but we are going to get upset if she hides it from us.  I mean, this isn't just pee this time, it's fecal matter, and I'm sorry, but I can't help but be upset that she possibly got it on her hands and didn't even wash them.  I am on her side and I am really trying to show compassion about stuff like this.  Someone mentioned maybe she held it in - she actually has some issues...
Ok, I'm just not even sure if this is in the realm of normal.  SD is 7 1/2.  Still has the occasional pee accident at night/early morning.  And we've had to get on her ass recently for hiding it from us.  So tonight we're putting her to bed, and SO finds what appears to be smears of poop or chocolate on the pad she sleeps on (we have several of those nice cloth hospital bed pads for the times she has pee accidents).  Give it the sniff test - probably poop.  So we start...
    You're right.  And he keeps talking about changing his will, especially since the current guardian listed is a friend who moved out of state years ago and we haven't heard from since!         It's financial.  If it weren't for that, specifics I won't go into, we would be married and I would have adopted SD.  Sometimes I question the parenting thing, sometimes I get frustrated and say nasty things to myself in my head, but I don't say them to her, and frankly, I'm...
It sounds like you and your MIL both have a bit of insecurity and competition over what exactly your roles are, with regard to SD, exacerbated by the fact that she has no living biological mother.   True.  And most of why I feel insecure and competitive is because of this stuff with his mother.   She shouldn't TELL your SD that she was like a mother to her.  SD either feels that way and it doesn't need to be said; or she doesn't feel that way and your MIL telling...
Like the other poster said, I suppose that it may depend upon how much of a parenting role you play and how much it directly impacts you.  But that aside, as a parent, even a "step", and depending on how much of a parenting role you play in the kid's life, you have a right to be concerned about this kid learning personal responsibility and remembering his stuff.  My SD is 7 and often does the same thing because she spends a lot of time with her grandmother.  Usually the...
SO and I are not legally married, but I'll call his mom my mother-in-law.  She has unhealthy boundaries regarding my SD, who's 7.  And it really gets on my nerves sometimes.  See, she favors her over her half-siblings and cousins.  A lot of it has to do with SD's mother dying when SD was 1.  Since then, SD has been given a lot of attention over the years because of that tragedy.  To the extent that, to an "outsider", it could be seen as more of a detriment to SD than a...