or Connect

Posts by 1ColoradoMomma

Thank you so much for checking back! It was not going well at all as far as class went although she did get shuffled into a math class that she loved. The rest of the day was wasted in a third grade class (she is supposed to be in fourth although she is young) where the kids talked incessantly while the teacher yelled in an attempt to be heard. Can you imagine? She hated it. So I just managed to get her into a public Montessori charter school starting January 2! I don't...
Ladies, Goddesses, thank you for your words of support. It truly is comforting hearing compassion and not judgement from you. I do hope that this is temporary, especially since I am not excited about the school and her being in third grade again, but better tot be with a nicer group of kids. You are right that some time to breathe could be good for all of us. I guess when we look to buy a house this summer that we actually need to consider school districts :^o
Ugh. So I have been homeschooling my two kids for almost 2.5 years now. Dd just turned 9 and is in 4th grade. DS is 7 and in 2nd grade. We moved from Colorado to Oregon this past August and don't have the support system set up like we did in Colorado. DD is very bright but very bossy and complains a lot. She complains about almost every single thing in the day. The other day I had finally had it. I feel that homeschooling (which she does love being at home) is a...
"Dirt" is a great documentary that my kids loved. It is about how the soil is alive. Lots of wonderful information in it!
This idea is so wonderful to me!!  I have been thinking about it for years.  I long to do something like this in Oregon, but my communal space idea has always been centered around art.  It would have a wheel and kiln and lots of light for art projects. I grew up with horses and many animals, and the thing that stops me from wanting goats or horses again is how difficult it becomes to travel.  Sharing with another family certainly does seem to answer this problem.  I'm a...
Hi!  I know that you wrote this comment in 2010, but just in case you're still out there, we're looking at a move to Malaysia this summer.  I'd sure love a friendly face on the other end directing me in   Please let me know if you're still around!
You just keep listening to your intuition. I'd much rather err on the side of attachment (which helps your kids' brains develop fully) than having over-scheduled, stressed out kids. Dd started reading words before she was 2 (self-taught), and ds is far from following in her footsteps -- he's just not ready yet. I don't think that this means that dd will be more "successful" or happy in life than ds. It just means that they learn differently. You're doing fine!
Wow! Thank you for the wonderful reply. It is so hard to conceive of 100+ degrees AND high humidity in a desert! You had so much wonderful information. Can I ask what it is that you do in the UAE? 12 years is such a long time to be somewhere with such a difficult climate (especially when compared to northern Cali!).
First, congratulations on your upcoming bundle of love Second, thank you for the information. I have to say that I'm REALLY surprised that there is not a great recycling and composting program -- I thought they were trying to be a little more sustainable than that. Isn't there some nearby city that's supposed to be created zero waste and with renewable energy? But it's nice to think about kayaking and such things -- I never thought about that for some reason. I've...
Hello all, We're considering a move to either Dubai or Abu Dhabi (job for dh). I have traveled extensively but don't have any experience with that area of the world. I think I'll be fine culturally and socially, but I worry about my ability to commune with Mother Nature. I am a nature girl and am raising my kids to be the same A job there would mean a 5 year commitment, so no brief stint. I wouldn't get a job so we could travel more. Does anyone have any advice...