or Connect

Posts by dawny

I had my first real no spending and driving day. We were going to take the kids biking but it rained so we didn't go anywhere. I got a lot done just hanging out - bonus room carpet cleaned, pantry organized! No spending days: 2/10 – starting small Groceries: $304.29/$1200 – baby steps Days eating lunch out: 3/7 School Supplies: $85.60/$100 Clothes for boys: $54/$100 Clothes for me & DH: $137.25/$150 Other misc not needed: $20.00 Aug 1, Fri: $37.52 – lunch box,...
You ladies are such inspirations! Wow! I am truly in awe of your discipline. : I worked on a budget last night - boy, it is not pretty. I also did some major meal planning for Aug and September. I almost had a no spending day yesterday. The only thing I bought was cookies for the kids at the pool - $1.70! Since this falls under groceries, I am going to count is as a no spending day. No spending days: 1/10 – starting small Groceries: $195.74/$1200 – baby...
Quote: Originally Posted by rabbitmum I'm still struggling with the book that I resisted buying yesterday, but I still haven't bought it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Spee...7968606&sr=1-2. I might just have to buy it, ladies, what do you think? Should I buy it? I have all the previous eight books, and they're wonderful! It's only 17,65 USD! I sympathize with you. I love to buy books also! If you can't resist buying it, try to find it...
Not such a good day for me...I spent more than I intended at the movies with DSs. Dang that popcorn is $$$; however it was a $1.50 movie theater so I guess I shouldn't complain. I haven't made any progress on a budget, but I spent a lot of time last night on recipezaar looking for frozen meal ideas. Still no no spending days! No spending days: 0/10 – starting small Groceries: $194.04/$1200 – baby steps Days eating lunch out: 1/7 School Supplies:...
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you have decided to spend nothing (or spend significantly less) for the Month of August. My name is Dawn. I am a wife and mother to 2 boys. I am also a nursing student. I have not worked since 2001 and the past 2 years we have had to use saving to supplement DH’s income. I have lurked in this group a lot and I feel like if I don’t post now I might not ever do it. My boys and I are both out of school for the next two...
Both my kids have them. DS #1 likes his. I have never had problems fitting stuff in his box. If I have a sub type sandwich that won't fit in the containers., I just put it in the purple box without the inner containers. I also put pizza in this way. DS #2 doesn't like his. He has some problems opening it so I don't send it anymore. I use it on occasion and I have never had a problem putting enough food in it; however, I take mainly leftovers which fit nicely in...
I am so glad to see this thread is moving! Quote: Originally Posted by LionTigerBear I have dish towel over the top because I don't have a thinner towel, I hope that works okay. when I was growing the SCOBY I used a paper towel to cover. I always use a dish towel with a rubber band. It never occurred to me to use anything else.
Quote: Originally Posted by JenInMpls I still want to know, though, where to keep my kombucha while it's brewing when our house is at 67 all day and our (old 1940s) stove doesn't have a pilot light in the oven that would keep it a cozy 80 or so. Right now I have it covered with a flour sack dishcloth and sitting on top of the stove, where there *is* a pilot under the surface which feels slightly warm. We keep our house at 68 and my scobys...
Quote: Originally Posted by LionTigerBear Day five . . . . The baby scoby "blobs" look about the same, from where I can see, (don't want to disturb it!) there's a nice fermenty smell coming frm the container, and a white-ish film seems to be growing on the top of the kombucha. It's working!! I have started a new batch. I bottled a batch last night and it is excellent! My previous batch did not have that much flavor and I think it was...
I have the same problem and I keep my house at 68F. I was going to suggest top of fridge or freezer too, but since that won't work, what about laundry room? Heat from the dryer (when you use it) might keep the temperature a little higher. Or some place in direct sunlight covered with a dark towel (if the sun is shining ) Also the cabinet above your fridge might be a little warmer since it gets the heat from your fridge. If you have baseboard heat or heat in the...