or Connect

Posts by leilasmama

My nearly-4-yo dd also doesn't like hair washing. Personally, I think less frequent is more healthy anyway so she probably gets it washed roughly once/week. Over the summer though, my mom suggested that she (dd) do it herself & that worked really well - we assist but as she thinks she is in control it goes much more smoothly, usually without tears. She also prefers tilting/lying back to dip her hair rather than sitting up having water poured over - of course we have to do...
Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting in the best forum. I am wondering how other mamas raising toddlers manage to do anything creative? I find it nearly impossible when nearly-3 DD is around as whenever I sit down to do something she wants to be on my lap helping. Every day I think that once she's in bed I'll do something but by the time it rolls around I'm just exhausted and I end up wasting time on the internet etc. I used to be a working artist. I imagined I'd be...
is that a question?
I just thought - have you ever looked at the Baby Whisperer book? some of those techniques worked for me a little bit, i possibly didn't persevere long enough for them to be fully successful  
My DD has always been a "bad" sleeper. Currently (she's nearly 3) she usually only wakes once & its to call to come into our bed. But sometimes there is the screaming/crying for an age, usually she is unresponsive & doesn't want to be touched or held. It's different to when she has nightmares. I usually just sit beside her til she calms down & try to reassure her I'm there & she's ok. Anyway, the other day when she calmed down she was pretty awake, though still dozy. I...
Hello I'm afraid I don't really have any good advice for you, but I went through something very similar with my DD & felt that desperation. I remember the revelation of discovering she matched the high need criteria - I was not alone! Then being crestfallen to realize it didn't actually make it any better. I have to admit, she still wakes at least once a night (she's nearly 3). She did always fall asleep happily nursing, but then would wake. At 4 months she started...
My daughter was a very high needs infant who happily transformed into a very easygoing toddler - I really don't know how it happened - but just to say, there is hope! But the early days, ie, the 1st year, it was constant breastfeeding, earsplitting crying if she didn't get it (people actually commented on how loud her cry was), wanted to be with me/carried by me (no one else) most of the time, hard to get to sleep & then slept lightly/woke easily....gradually it eased...
Avismama I think your tagline says it all : Mama, wife, doula, nanny, family educator, foodie, crazy about baby-wearing, outdoor enthusiast!   You've answered it for yourself - you sound very self fulfilled, don't let others make you doubt that   By the way, before I had my DD, I was between things & ruminating on my life choices. When people asked me "what do you do?" I would answer, "nothing". It inevitably made an impression & often brought a smile -...
This is a bit vague compared to Avismama's recipe but it is a standby for us - inexpensive, vegetarian & quick - I'm sure it comes in under $5, if you consider the stock is something in the cupboard/fridge...but afraid I couldn't cost it all out for you   Minestronesque Bean Soup   I say "esque" because it is made with kind of whatever's around but basically:     about Tbs olive oil (or veg oil of your pref) 1/2 onion celery stick 1 x 400g tin chopped...
Our routine with our nearly 3 year old has been the same for a long time now and generally starts the same time every night (of course there are exceptional nights) whether it's mama or papa putting her to bed 5.30/6 (her) dinner 6.30 bath - this often is quite long & she plays alot - it seems to be her really winding down/transitioning time wrap up in towel, brush teeth, jammies on (oh yes, there's usually some jumping on the bed in there too) 2-3 story books,...