or Connect

Posts by Ruthla

I agree with contacting social services with the information you have now. That's the best way to help the child, as well as to protect yourself legally from defamation suits. If you do contact the "person who encouraged you to set up the playdates" I'm not sure I'd mention the specifics of the abuse, as that could potentially set off gossip/defamation suit. But letting him or her know that your child had a negative experience and that the playdates were inapropriate, that...
I was just about to suggest Beverly Cleary!
It sounds like he's not adjusting well to the kindergarten class. There might be a medical reason (not feeling when he needs to go, so he doesn't get there in time.) Or it might be emotional- that's far more likely. If it truly is a matter of "being too  busy to realize he has to go" then the teacher might be able to help. If she gave him a gentle, discreet reminder to use the  bathroom a couple of times a day, this might solve the problem. Try having a meeting with her...
I remember "Mothering Magazine" from when I was pregnant with my first 19 years ago, and my midwife lent out her copies. Her ex had bought  her a lifetime subscription some years before.   "Mothering" went with the title they did, rather than "parenting" or something similar, as a way to emphasize the gender differences in parenting and the importance of women-specific things like pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding. It was in celebration of the unique contribution...
My younger daughter was like this. She was quite frightened watching "Elmo in Grouchland" in the movies at age 4- probably because she had a "security blanket" at the time and the movie hit too close to home. Had she watched it at home, with her blanket in her arms during the movie, she would have probably handled it better.   My response to this reaction was to stop taking her to movies until she was ready. She did OK with videos at home- they were not as loud or...
As the mother of a 19 year old, it's hard to think of her fully as an "adult." She's not financially independent, not working full time, etc.   I know that all 3 of my kids received gifts from various extended family members at the Hanukkah gathering. It looks like  gifts were being distributed to the other college-aged kids (there are 8 cousins in the 17-20 year old range, plus one slightly older and a few younger ones.) I don't know exactly who gave what to whom, or if...
I'm very private about our vaxing status. I have the exemption on file with the school and few people IRL know about it. Most of my friends and family just assume we vax, because that's "the norm" and they don't question it and they don't question us.   You know you can "hide" posts on facebook that you don't want to see. Since you're dealing with some mental health stuff, I'd suggest you go that route rather than debating online and posting anti-vax links in response....
I first heard of Mothering when I was pregnant with my first child, and my midwife had a collection of Mothering magazines available to borrow. I found MDC when I got a lot of negative reactions from my prior "online parenting community" when my nursling was "almost 3" rather than  being "2". I remembered Mothering from the magazine and, after a brief web search, found MDC.   Then I drifted away for various reasons after my kids got older. I felt that MDC was less...
My son seemed rather "well hung for a newborn" when he was a baby, but then he was also nearly 9 pounds at birth. I'm not sure if he "had a penis as big as a 3 month old's" at birth because of "being well endowed" or because he was, overall, the size of some 3 month old babies when he was born.   I have no clue how it's gone from there as he's grown, as I didn't have any other little boys to compare him to, and he hasn't let me see him naked since he was about 5 or 6. I...
I was breastfed back in 1972 when "only the Hippies nursed their babies." At least, that was the case in suburban Long Island where I was born.  She used to express milk for my 1 bottle a week when she and my Dad had an appointment. I  believe the doctor gave her the go-ahead to use whole cow's milk in that bottle when I was 6 months old. At 11 months old, the day I learned to walk, I "weaned myself." Apparently, I couldn't take the breast with me (but she let me...