or Connect

Posts by Ruthla

I do think it's reasonable for her to have ownership over "her area" and leave it messy if she likes it that way. But once it's spreading past the boundaries (on the coffee table) then it's in community space, and needs to be cleaned up each day. If she leaves it out after "cleanup time" then she's giving you permission to clean it up for her, and that means that "the toys go in time out." I used to have a box on top of the hall closet for this purpose. I'd give the toys...
I think your focus needs to be on comforting your child, reassuring him that you won't throw his toys away, and NOT saying anything bad about  his dad in front of him! It's bad enough if Dad bad-mouths Mom, how much less secure will he feel if Mom also bad-mouths Dad? You can let him know that you and his Dad don't get along anymore. You can let him know that you disagree with your father about some things. But I'd hesitate to tell him "Daddy was wrong"; just tell him...
I also want to add that I found it VERY hard on my back to push a stroller while wearing a baby. Just wearing a baby is fine. Just pushing a stroller is fine. But doing both simultaneously was hard on my body for long walks. I found it much easier to push the double stroller than to wear one and push a single stroller. Then, of course, there were the times when one clamored to be worn so I'd wear her while pushing the other in the stroller, but it wasn't for the WHOLE walk...
Poor sleep can sometimes be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance. I wonder if there's something in your diet or his that doesn't quite agree with him. Wheat and dairy are common culprits, but any food is a potential allergen.
It sounds like she's thriving right now. Next year, when the school "should be better" you can discuss other options in case it's not what she wanted or expected.   There definitely is something different about the approach to school when a child is there by choice. I homeschooled Hannah from 5th through 7th grade, then in 8th she chose to return to public school. She had a hard time with the initial adjustment, but after a few months she was absolutely thriving. Now...
((((HUGS))))   I think you need to change some expectations so you don't drive yourself crazy when expectations aren't met. He's 4. It's completely age-appropriate for him to start out in his own bed and join you in the middle of the night. If his pull-ups are leaking, then he needs something more absorbent at night. If you're using disposables, then Goodnights are a better choice than pull-ups."Making" him go to the potty in the middle of the night is also a non-issue...
My son was out of his booster by age 9 or so; he was too tall for it, so it was time for the vehicle seat belts. He's now 4'11" tall (I think) and over 100 pounds. He's mad that I won't let him sit in the front seat while the car is moving until his next birthday (11.5 months away.) I'd remembered something about "age 12 and the front seat" but I double-checked, and it's "12 and under in  the back seat" not "12 and over in the front seat." His shoes from 2 years ago fit...
Beyond losing 3-4 pounds, has he gotten taller in the last 8 months? Any time you want to "pretend you don't know better"  then you KNOW you're doing the wrong thing! However, he's been in a  booster seat a good 6-8 years longer than many other kids, and has benefitted from the safety all that time. If he fits properly in the vehicle seat, then it's fine to not use the booster. Also, how soon is his 12th birthday and how likely is he to have a huge growth spurt between now...
My girls are 16.5 months apart. I did a lot of babywearing when Leah was an infant, and never really used the stroller much until I was pregnant and I found it uncomfortable to wear her too much. I also thought I'd use the single stroller a lot, and hardly need the  double, but I found the opposite was true.   There were many times when Hannah didn't really care if she was carried or rode in the stroller, but Leah demanded to be carried. So I needed a safe place to put...
I think what you REALLY need help with is developing confidence in your parenting abilities, and standing up to other adults in your household. Your son gets enough pressure from the others (grandparents? aunts and uncles?) He needs Mom in his corner.   Your child is only 4. His life will not be "ruined" if he doesn't learn specific things by a certain age. I know a great many young adults who even messed up high school, but then went to community college and pulled...