or Connect

Posts by Ruthla

I made paneer cheese this week- wow, that was so easy! Why didn't I try this way first??
My brother is only 14 months older than me. I've heard my entire life how hard it was for Mom to take care of two babies! Then I had my own daughters 16 months apart (not what I'd planned- but G-d had other plans for me. ;) )   Taking care of two babies is hard, because they both need so much of your attention. When my daughters were little, I found my own needs got met the least of the 3 of us. It's not that "two in diapers" is hard, or that tandem nursing was hard....
I wouldn't bring it up unless one of the girls notices and asks about it. Then I'd suggest being matter-of-fact about it. "I have hair on my legs because it grows there on grown-up women. Some women shave it off, but I don't." This may or may not lead to a discussion of puberty and bodily changes. If they ask why you don't shave, just say "There's no need to." or "Why should I?"   Don't make any value judgements about women who choose to shave, just say it's a...
What's new with me? My father passed away on Wednesday morning. Things have been pretty stressful the past few weeks because he was ill.
The inner pot can't be kept covered because the curds need to be stirred at certain points while heating.   In theory, you're right. The outer pot could be kept pareve (neither dairy nor meat) if none of the milk mixture splashed into the outer pot. But in reality, what's the chance of NOT dripping anything when stirring it on the stove? Also, kashering the pot isn't quite as simple as just boiling it with plain water. The pot needs to be unused for 24 hours before...
Well,I  followed the recipe for "small curd cottage cheese" in that 1974 cheesemaking book I borrowed from the library. I ended up with something that didn't look or taste anything like cottage cheese. I'd probably need to follow the "large curd cottage cheese" recipe (which uses rennet) for that.   What I got looks and tastes like farmer cheese!    I let it culture for 2 days, then I cut the curd, let it sit a few minutes, then I heated it up to about 115...
Do you have a problem with other dairy products? If you're intolerant to dairy, then kefir might NOT be a healthy food for you, in spite of the healthy probiotics in there.   If this is the case, you might do better with water kefir (kefir that's cultured in sugar water or another medium other than milk,) cultured vegetables, kombucha (cultured tea) or a dairy-free probiotic supplement rather than dairy kefir.
OK, so I ended up with quark cheese rather than farmer's cheese. Since the quark cheese isn't as good for me (SWAMI calls it a toxin to eat occasionally in small amounts, rather than a superfood to emphasize) I don't want to make that kind of cheese again, even though it was delicious. I do plan to make this again around Hanukkah time, in place of sour cream for latkes.   On Saturday night, I put up a cup of milk with 1 tablespoon (1 cube) of buttermilk to set. No...
Note to self: cheese making can take up to 3 days, so don't start it later in the week than Tuesday!   I ladled the cheese glop into a cloth-lined colander this morning, and then later this morning I transferred it to a smaller colander (after folding closed the cloth napkin and closed it with a rubber band) then put the colander in the pot, put the lid on the pot, and put the whole contraption into the fridge. It's likely to be ready to salt and season very close to...
I honestly don't understand why "tattletaling" is a problem. Why on earth would you WANT your kids to not tell you if they're being bullied or harrassed at school? Not that it sounds like this girl is bullying him, but think about what you're teaching your kindergartener here. If he never feels safe telling you what went on at school, what kind of habits are you setting up for a few years from now, when bullying just might happen?   I would, however, talk to my child...