or Connect

Posts by Ruthla

What is WRONG with my computer? This is the second time I've updated the thread first thing in the morning, only to not see my update when I checked an hour or so later!   As of 8:30 AM, the warm cultured milk was still just milk- not a gelatinous mass ready for straining.   What should I do now?   Let it keep culturing and try again in a few hours? Or should I heat the milk and add lemon juice to make paneer, so I don't waste the milk?
For the whole chicken, I would roast the chicken first, eat the roasted meat (or eat some and slice the rest for later meals), and then make soup out of the roasted bones. I think the raw bones give a slightly tastier broth, but roasted meat is so much tastier than boiled meat, and I personally don't like boiled poultry unless it's small amounts floating in soup.   I generally eat eggs and veggies for breakfast, meat or fish or cheese and veggies for lunch, fruit and...
I do NOT get into battles about clothing, unless it's something innapropriate for the weather (in which case I'll let the child wear what he or she wants and then pack appropriate clothing for when the child gets too cold or too hot.) I once let DS wear a "jack o lantern" dress to (Orthodox Jewish) preschool when he was 3! I packed his regular clothes in his backpack and he came home wearing them, with the dress in the backpack. (We'd been going through the costume box...
OK, I bought the buttermilk today and put about 1/3 of a cup of it into 1/2 gallon of warmed whole milk. I should have measured it out in a smaller measuring cup- it was hard to get 1/4 cup with the one I used. I have the mixture in a covered pot on my kitchen counter, and I plan to drain out the whey tomorrow morning.   I only have 1 dairy ice cube tray, so I froze a portion of the extra buttermilk earlier, transferred the cubes onto a plate then into a gallon-sized...
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely buy the buttermilk, use what we need and then freeze the rest in ice cube trays. This should save me a lot of money in the long run.   I bought a whole gallon of milk at Costco today (though we still have some left in the half gallon I bought earlier, so I don't need to open up the gallon today) and I plan to make cheese tomorrow. I didn't buy any buttermilk yesterday because I wasn't sure if the quart would go to waste; now that...
I checked the store today, and they do have cultured buttermilk, but only in quarts. If I only need a quarter cup a week, I'll be wasting money by buying a whole quart at a time.   Can the buttermilk be frozen and then still used to make cheese?   If not, I might be better off making cheese with lemon juice rather than culturing the milk.
How important is it to use "the right amount" of starter? Would the cheese set faster if I used 1/2 cup of buttermilk rather than 1/4 cup in 1/2 gallon of milk?   Cheesemaking books make the process seem complicated- they recomend using a double boiler to heat the milk (which, in my kitchen, would mean fitting my medium dairy pot inside my large dairy pot.) Is that really important, or can I heat the milk directly over a very low heat?   Is there some way to keep...
Weird- I  thought I responded this morning?   Can this recipe be halved? I don't think I could use 2-3 lbs of cheese before it spoiled, and I was thinking of buying a gallon of milk (instead of half a gallon) making cheese wtih half and saving back half for DS to drink.
     Could you guys take a look at my cheese making thread in the general Nutrition forum?  Thanks.   http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1296929/home-made-farmer-s-cheese 
  In the 3rd PotC movie, Captain Jack Sparrow said "4 of you tried to kill me and one of you succeeded."   Who were the four?   Elizabeth clearly is the one who succeeded, at the end of the 2nd movie. Will tried to kill him near the beginning of the first movie Captain Barbosa tried to kill him at the end of the first movie. Who was the fourth?