or Connect

Posts by buttercups0147

Has anyone used the midwives at Greenville midwifery care (greenvillemidwiferycare.com)? I had a difficult labor with my first (pit, eventual epidural, forceps, 20+ hrs, etc.) and would like to have a natural waterbirth this time. I'm thinking about delivering at greer memorial since they have tubs and insurance will pay everything (plus dh would feel much better if we're at a hospital rather than a birthing center). Any feedback or other suggestions for other midwives?...
I felt the same way. I pushed to get everything done by 37 weeks, which turned out to be perfect. I'm 40 weeks Saturday, but I had to move closer to a hospital at 36 weeks, so while my timing for the baby was off, thankfully I had everything done already. Otherwise, it would have been awful trying to get things done while out of town.
I totally understand! It's our first, and I'm an only child, so you can just imagine how over the moon my parents are. They are making me CRAZY! I get like 10 texts a day from my mom even though I told her we would let her know when the baby's born (I really don't want to tell people when I go into labor b/c I don't want to have to update them every half hour at the hospital). If i don't answer within her time frame, then she and my dad are calling non-stop. It doesn't...
Me too! I'm "pre-preeclamptic;" my bp is high and I have protein in my urine. Levels aren't quite high enough to diagnose pre-e yet, but my mw thinks it's just a matter of time. Thankfully, it's just modified bedrest though so 2 hours at a time. So far, I haven't found much to do. Today, I waited to hear from my OB to find out if they're thinking induction around 37w and I need to move to the city this week (we live off the road system in Alaska) - no word yet, so I'm...
My midwife is requiring me to be in Anchorage around 36 weeks, so I have my appt at 36w+6days. I'm not really excited about the move, but the midwives here in Kotz recommended it. Even though I'm not high risk, they don't do c-sections here (and even if they did, with our rotation of docs, there's a good chance they've never done one), and the medivac takes a couple of hours assuming good weather, etc. I would talk to the midwives in Kodiak and find out their...
Josie - I'm glad to hear that the nurses were really good when you were there. Since I'll be dealing mostly with them, I'm hoping to get someone good. I had to call about getting a pediatrician the other day and the nurse I spoke to was really nice and helpful. The lactation consultants will be helpful. We don't really have anyone up here, so I'm hoping to get the hang of things before I go home. Were they open to letting you labor and deliver in different positions?...
Tammy, That would be awesome! It's just so hard to justify another big expense when it already costs a fortune to move down there. I'm due Dec. 11 and head down to Anchorage Nov. 18. I know that's a hard time for people due to the holidays, but that's something I can be flexible with. My husband is flying down for Thanksgiving, so if I go into labor during the Thanksgiving holiday I would totally not expect someone to leave their family. Let me know what you find...
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I would totally prefer a birth center, but my insurance won't cover it. Providence is the preferred hospital, so they cover everything there. Plus, my husband may not be there and I know he would feel better with me at a hospital. I'm just praying labor will start at just the right time for him to catch a flight down! Thanks for the link to the doula listing! I'll send out some emails. Some of the prices I'd seen before were really...
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm due in December and moving down to Anchorage for the birth. I'll be using Providence as our insurance pays almost 100% if I go there. The same goes for using the Anchorage Women's Clinic. Has anyone used their midwives before or given birth at Providence? Are the midwives around during labor or do they just check in every once in a while like a doctor? I may be on my own if DH can't get a flight in time, so I just want to know...