or Connect

Posts by autumngrey

Did he retain an attorney during the divorce proceedings or afterward (for this "emergency hearing" situation or otherwise)? If so, you may be able to give notice to that attorney even if they don't know Ex's current contact information. The state expects him to give you written notice when his address changes. I suggest consulting with an attorney (preferably one is licensed in KS) to confirm whether giving him notice at the LKA or via his attorney is sufficient.   I...
You cannot be forced to give up (i.e. sign away) your rights, but legal technicalities may result in loss of rights if you don't take the necessary actions now. Scour over the papers you received to see if it indicates a deadline for response, assuming one is required. If it doesn't say, call the clerk of the court to inquire if they can tell you what the rules of the court are for responding to this kind of request. I would schedule consultations with an attorney (or two...
While I am quite on your side on this issue, not only in terms of fluoride but also it being your child to make decisions for, I am impressed by his conversation. I am moved by him talking in terms of what he feels, what he believes, and what he perceives you believe and feel, rather than "you're wrong," "I'm right" kind of language. He talks in ways that make it clear he's thinking about what you think and feel rather than just him-him-him. Also that he's considering your...
I know there are moms here who have been through tough situations like this and come out the other side with more time (or primary custody) of their DSC so I hope great advice will be here soon.   My DSD was 5 when our "court battle" phase of life began. We didn't have involvement of a GAL and the court wouldn't hear anything of DSD's mom's claims of harm in DH's care. Her mom did the stereotypical "take her to the doctor and file reports" thing, and those seemed to be...
It's reasonable for parents to talk through these kind of issues and to share information to come to make an informed decision of whether to proceed with the visit as scheduled or not. In case they do not agree (and Dad* doesn't have to agree) the visit proceeds as scheduled. Mom* isn't above the court order. End of story. She can accuse you of being negligent all she wants, but children aren't taken from their parents because they fail to evacuate the house while one...
I think it's unreasonable to expect kids who really don't know much about each other to be forced into a close-quarters situation when they're asking not to be forced and there is an option to avoid it. Your daughter isn't making a request that's going to force the family to move to a new house (like if you had a 2-bedroom house and she didn't want to share, there would be no place for his kids to have a bedroom). Even if the sleeping situation would be very unbalanced (if...
Normally I suggest that openly discussing major decisions--not necessarily agreeing--is sufficient to satisfy joint decision making requirements. Some decision has to be made on major issues (as in, there can't be a lack of decision) and the court certainly doesn't want to have parents coming in for invervention on everything they can't agree on. However, given some recent dramatic decisions near you regarding contempt for not following the parenting plan regarding making...
As an example of what the possibilities may be, this page seems to sum it up nicely for New Jersey - http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_jersey/may_I_reopen_my_divorce_case (completely arbitrary state selection there). I have no personal or close experience on that front. My state almost never orders spousal maintenance (requires a minimum marriage of 10 years and even then, a good argument). None of my friends have ever gotten it. One friend's ex, a SAHM who intended to...
 Ugh. One for my "I need an hour" book. Not sure how I didn't think of this phrase sooner. Much of what you described, devoted mummy, I can really relate to. DSD waking baby up from her nap despite my constant requests to stop stomping and yelling through the house. DH does help with dinner or dishes much of the time, but after that he lounges on the couch while I try to take care of everything else that needs to be done. Although I work full time, I am still the primary...
Unless you sign the IRS form 8332 to claim DS on his federal tax return, he cannot (legally) claim DS since he lives with ex less than 50% of the year. You don't have to sign that form unless a court order says you have to. A court isn't going to order you to sign the form unless you agree to release the claim to exemption or your ex petitions the court to order it and finds it to be in DS's best interest (which, frankly, might be in his best interest since it puts more...