or Connect

Posts by sleet76

It is hard, but remember---you are in survival mode.  There aren't many of us who feel settled in and comfortable and on top of it all with kids the ages of yours.  This is a minute-by-minute time period, and minutes seems like hours.  And it gets better.  Hang in there!  You'll slowly find a new normal and figure it out as well as anyone does, but it will take time.  Remember that it always looks easier from the outside--all those happy, contented, never upset or...
Yes!  I posted a similar post when my kids were really little.  It gets easier!  Things change, and they are not so draining.  And I have put two of my three kids in preschool ad different times.  Usually it was a great experience for us all.  I'm thinking I could really use some time with my youngest--a 3-yo boy--in preschool these days.  I'm tempted to find something for him in the fall, I think he would really enjoy something special that is just his, like some...
My daughter asked at age 5 or 6, and we talked about it in the car, and I prefaced it by telling her that she shouldn't talk about it with her friends; that it is the parent's jobs to decide what and when to tell their own kids.  I started with small bits of info, but she continued asking questions until she had the full story.  When she heard that the penis went inside the vagina, she yelled, "Eww!  Now I know why parents have to tell the kids!"  But, that has opened up...
I have an acquaintance who uses Heart of Dakota, and she Loves, Loves, loves it.  I unfortunately don't know much more than that, but I do know that people at a homeschool gathering asked her if she was selling it, she was so enthusiastic.  (She doesn't sell it.  :)  )  
We are one of those families that tried medication early on for ADHD, after trying other things for only about a year.  We've had almost two years of a happy family and a kid who likes himself and can function positively in society.  All of our lives are greatly improved, especially my son's.  Many of the medications are easy to trial with no major time commitment for a build-up phase of weeks to get it into the system--if it seems to not work or be a negative thing for...
We're doing a K/1 year this year with my DS, who is almost 6, and has been "tagging along" with his older sister and therefore started some stuff earlier than I was planning for.    We are using/will continue to use in the fall--super-relaxed:   RightStart Math All About Spelling Sonlight reading books (student-read and a few read-alouds) Handwriting Without Tears First Language Lessons Writing With Ease Crossroads US History   He takes a Spanish...
I am thinking that you are working too hard at making that curriculum work for you, and not just doing what works best for your family.  There are thousands of curriculums, and many,more ways to learn without curriculum.  If I were going to make your situation work for me, I'd ditch the online curriculum, and just live for a few months and fix some of the unrelated-to-homeschool problems like kids bedtimes, exercise, better food plans, and then slowly add school-y or...
I'm one of the PP, chiming back in to address the OP's question about our time doing work.  Like another PP, we start out doing little-to-nothing "official" or "schooly" for Kindergarten.  Halfway through K year, my DD asked to start doing some school stuff, so we slowly started adding in some work.  With her, she is happier when she can see her own progress, and knows that she is doing school-age appropriate-level work or above.  She becomes stressed and wants to go to...
Another vote for Soft Star shoes.  Love them!  And they'll even make them custom if his feet are wider than their super-wide wides.
I can understand your worry.  I think that for us, though, we have many more positive moments since they are with me more to outweigh the added direction I give them.  For example, if they were going to school, I'd still have to rush them around and get them ready in the morning, fed, and out the door on time.  We mostly don't have those stresses as homeschoolers.  We get up when we want, eat a leisurely breakfast, and eventually I call them together to do some school....