or Connect

Posts by sleet76

Oh, and to look back at your list of issues, we've had problems with pottying (poop and pee, and still occurring occasionally), he is by FAR my very pickiest eater--white diet only, please!, climbs all over the end tables and any other furniture he decides to, jumps on people, has a hard time getting himself dressed and undressed in the mornings and evenings (too distractible and boingy), etc...   He also generates the best family stories-- thankfully the worst,...
Hi and hugs.  That sounds really tough.  Much of what you wrote sounds like my son, who will be 6 next month, and has ADHD (and is likely gifted--hasn't been tested, but I would be pretty surprised if he wasn't).  The screamy-stand outside stuff sounds like my older daughter at that age--she would get really "crazy" (for lack of a better word) for some unknown, seemingly random reason and refuse to enter the house or whatever she had decided to be against.  That has...
My kids are in 2nd-3rd grade, and somewhere between K-2nd (he's advanced, but asynchronous).  We are liking and continuing with:   RightStart Math (will be continuing on, currently in levels B and C) All About Spelling  (is good for reading instruction, too, supposedly--but we haven't used it this way) Writing With Ease, level 2  (frustrating, but it's helping DD, we waited until halfway through the school year to start it, it overwhelmed her before that) First...
Not sure if you would be able/interested in this, but think whether or not you'd be interested in traveling to people's homes to offer lessons there.  Many of us drive the kids to different lessons/practices, etc... and the thought of waiting at lessons for all the kids and chasing the littles around is daunting, especially on top of the swimming, spanish, science, and soccer that we already do.  However, if I had someone to come here in the AM, and I could pass kids off...
Personally, I would hesitate to jump into a charter school like k12 right away.  It would be hard to know how much time it would take, and it will likely take more time and hoop-jumping than you really need for kindy.  It takes the decision-making away from you, and may require specific amounts of finished work that are totally unnecessary at that age.  Add in the uncertainty of other little kids and a new baby---I think it will be setting yourself up for a very...
Woo hoo!  That's the way to direct your life actively, and not passively!  Great work!
This is so hard.  It seems like there should be a magic pill or some theory or something that can make it easier, but really, IME, it is just TIME that makes things easier.  You are in survival mode, and you just have to stay sane, try to maintain your "nice-enough and not-abusive mom" status, and have a few minutes a day to remember who you are and why you are working so hard.  There are a lot of great strategies here in previous posts, and yes, all of them may buy you...
We have been a year in our new house/city/state this week!  We moved from Illinois to Wisconsin, and homeschool. Homeschooling made our move so smooth and easy--we were all together, we spent great days in our new home together, and we didn't have to enter into a new school situation on top of the stress of moving.  My kids are doing great (ages 7, 5, and 3), and at this point, I have no plans of ever entering them into school.  Good luck with your move!
I'm sorry you guys are having a had time finding your path. I wanted to throw out there that if medication would help your daughter, it may be worth a try.  You can always stop using it, and it may be the key that allows her to access her learning potential, and help your homeschooling experience to be positive instead of negative.  If you are homeschooling, you will be a great position to evaluate the success or failure of medicating in general, or the more subtle...
Three y.o and 5 y.o with no problems here!