or Connect

Posts by sleet76

http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/Statistics_on_Homeschooling_in_the_United_States   Here is a website that lists some statistics, and had references--you may be able to dig some of the original articles/studies up.  Good luck!  It seems that he should be the one to prove that homeschooling WON'T work for the kids.  
Playdates with my 7-yo girl tend to go off and giggle while drawing, setting up blocks and using it as a base for imaginative play with little toy animal figurines (or a rat maze for out pet rats--they are also popular, but not a usual "toy" to recommend ) .  They ride bikes, stomp in the woods behind our house, play "police and jail" if there are more kids--capturing each other and imprisoning them and then jailbreaking--lots of screeching and running, hide and seek,...
Wr got started by buying bulk LEGOs off of eBay. We got a great selection of perfect condition used mixed pieces for a fraction of the cost of the sets. I highly recommend looking into that option.
I don't have any real advice except to persevere and keep moving forward. I am only two years ahead of you in kids ages (7, 5, and 3, though my oldest is a mature-for-age girl) and things are so much easier than they were even a year ago. I am able to do probably two out of the three on your list. Which is pretty livable. I think it is just going to get easier, at least in the hands-on restrictiveness of having young children. I expect different challenges to arise in a...
Love it!!
We use Right Start, but have mostly been in level B. I'd say that most days we average about 15 minuted for math, but there are some days that we do spend up to 30 minutes. Often, though, the longer or more challenging lessons say that they are intended to be done over 2-5 days. Many times, these lessons (there are about 106 lessons for the level B book) are ones that we still do in one or two days, so they do take longer. And, there are a few lessons (2 or 3) early in...
Not sure what your price range would be, because these are expensive, but we have a few pairs of Mini Boden pants, and they seem to have shorter legs for the waist size. My DD is on the border between a 6 and a 7 (getting close to having most 6s look like highwaters), and I just got her a few pairs of Boden pants on a splurge, and they are juuuuust at the length that many longer 6s are. They have a generous waist and hold up super-well. We have the heart-knee pants, the...
My son does this, too. He can read very well and sound out words now, and he'll often hole up with a particular book for a few days and read it over and over. Then he'll bring it to me and ask me to read it to him, and as the words come that he had trouble figuring out on his own, he'll exclaim, "Oh! That's what that word is!!" And then he has that word down pat from then on. Sounds like a similar learning strategy to what you described your son doing.
We are doing Crossroads History (http://www.eduref.org/cgi-bin/printl...rossroads.html) a free US History curriculum, and loving it! They have different plans for different ages, and we're combining the books (purchased used and borrowed from the library) from K-2 and having a reading fest! My 7yo DD is loving it! I didn't feel like SOTW and Sonlight history that we tried last year made a whole lot of sense to her since she had no frame-of reference for the time...
Congratulations on making the decision! I know it can feel like a big one. I bet, though, as you settle in, you'll realize that this whole homeschooling thing isn't all that big of a deal after all. I've been lucky enough to have pretty supportive family members, so no real advice there. Just wanted to celebrate with you!