or Connect

Posts by sleet76

I think this falls in line with the "circumcision reduces penile cancer" argument. The most logical (to me) argument to counter this is to mention that of course we are less likely to get and infection/cancer of a body part/organ that has been removed. It isn't there to get infected or to develop cancer. But that there aren't any other body party that we remove "just in case". We would probably want to remove women's breasts at birth to prevent cancer and all babies'...
We use Right Start, and I do really like it. It does take more of my time than some other programs would--It is something that i have to do with the kids and not just get them started to do on their own most days (occasionally my older, focused kid can follow through with a few problems on her own, but much you do together). My first time through the curriculum with my oldest, I needed a minute or two to scan the lesson and make sure i had all the materials...
Yes. It also gets old explaining to everyone else--at the store, park, etc... I mean I like talking about my family and myself (where's that paper bag smilie?), but yes, old. My 7-yo is now obviously school-age-looking, whereas last year she blended in better. We attract much more attention in public these days than before.
DocMom, I am sorry you are hurting. You did the best you knew to do, and are now able to make a different decision moving forward. It will be okay. I wanted to tell you one thing that you are in a special position to do--it is something that was done for my DH and I (and our sons). My DH is a physician, an ophthalmologist. When he was in medical school, he was introduced to the idea of keeping boys intact as a part of his medical training. (Yes, he went to med...
We are in Green Bay, as well. A homeschooling family with three kids--ages 7, 5, and 3. Hello!!
My 5 yo kindergartener is reading around a 2nd-3rd grade level. He can read most of what I show him, but I haven't really tried "topping him out". He reads things that I didn't really expect him to be able to--we homeschool, and he's currently surprising me by needing harder and harder work...I had to split up his older sister's reading books with him, his first grade-ish ones I was planning on using (The Fire Cat, etc...) were too easy. It has been exciting for me to...
Right Start Math has a great group of math card games that work really well to have fun AND work on math facts. My two older kids LOVE to play the games. I think they sell a little booklet and cards on their website separately from the full curriculum. We love them!
Another expensive and great math program is Right Start Math. We've really enjoyed it. May be something to look into, also.
Oooh! Look at Sonlight, they have a ton of great literature for both read-alouds and "real" books for kids to read (instead of focusing on "readers", they read from living books). They also have it parceled out into schedules and science and history stuff, but you'd likely get a lot of use out of the books no matter how you homeschool. I like that their leveled book reader groupings work well to inch up in difficulty, making it easy to find books that my kids have grown...
I agree with Tankgirl. Her advice is very wise. Allow yourself and your son to find your own rhythm, and feel out what will best suit you both. There are a lot of things that you'll stumble into eventually, but he doesn't need to do anything at all this year. This is the year to get used to the idea of homeschooling, to embrace finding your own path. You don't want to spend a lot on curriculum and stuff that you don't need or may not even like once you figure out what...