or Connect

Posts by sleet76

I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. It sounds rough on your DS, too. There are some characteristics that you describe that sound like my DS. He has ADHD, diagnosed at age 4 after trying OT for SPD, behavioral therapy, and working with a psychologist. He is doing better much now, but mostly because we decided to use Ritalin, but he can control himself very well while using that as a tool. He is happy, and we are all happy now. We can go and do things together,...
My kindergartner is my middle child, and he's been tagging along with his older sister's school stuff for a year or so, so he's more of a first-grader + or -. We are just getting started with school, our first real day is going to be Monday. But I think he will be doing: Spelling: All About Spelling, finishing level 1 Math: Right Start B, he's about 25% of the way into it Reading: Sonlight level 2 books Handwriting: HWOT (he is far from advanced in his...
Today I had the kids come with me and "help" me reorganize the schoolroom and hang out and play in there with me while I looked through all my stuff and got things ready to go for real on Monday. We needed some transition time in getting used to being in there, as it is a basement room that we don't use a whole lot outside of school. We are pretty relaxed homeschoolers, but we have a fantastic school space, so we try to get down there 3-4 mornings per week and I have a...
Check out All About Spelling. I'm really liking it for us. I got Level One and started it with my then-first-grader last spring, and it's been great. She was a good reader but very hesitant on spelling. I also added my almost-kindergartner into the fun, and he's moving along in it, too. It does have a reader that goes along with what they are learning, so you can teach reading at the same pace, if you wanted. My kids are both liking it, and they are very different in...
My kids are 7, 5, and 3. If they are expecting me to entertain them, they complain, whine, moan, gripe, fight, and irritate each other if I am not being "enough" for them. (And it is hard to EVER be "enough" for any person who doesn't want to do for themselves!) However, if we do fun things together, a little tiny bit of "school-y" stuff, and then I make them turn off the TV and suffer through the 20 minutes of post-tv crabbiness, they usually end up all three playing...
My DD has this, too. As far as I can tell, she doesn't have an infection, but we haven't had any testing. It started when she was 6 yo and about 40 lbs. She is now 7, and still tiny, so I really don't think it is puberty-related. But it's there. Hmm. I haven't thought of this in a while, maybe I should get her checked out.
My son (turned 5 in April) has ADHD, possible mild sensory-seeking SPD, and is not motor delayed. He is clumsy, and over-estimates his abilities, but it typical overall motor-wise. I just wanted to lend some support--It seems to me that many times kids with ADHD are slower to potty train, and have accidents much longer than many other kids. My son potty trained (with nearly constant pee and poop accidents--daily or even multiple times per day sometimes) at around age...
I sent you a PM.
Hi Meg! We just finished 1st grade with Nora, and Henry is somewhere in-between K and 1st grade. For N's 1st grade year, we practiced her reading--we read together 4 or 5 days a week (or more), slowly plodded through RightStart Math level B--3ish lessons per week (20-25 minutes per lesson), did handwriting with Handwriting Without Tears, I read quite a few novels out loud, and we followed her interests in science. Talked about history as it came up. Looked a lot of...
We use RightStart Math and love it! It's usually really fun for the kids, and they love the math card games--they're really effective!