or Connect

Posts by sleet76

I've had one of both---a super-chunk 18 lb 12-week old, and a skinny 18 lb 18-month old. They are/were both wonderful and healthy--active, and good eaters. They are both evening out right now somewhere in the middle of the bell curve. I don't think there's any particular reason that is easily identifiable in most cases. Mine were both breastfed on demand, and my chunky one was my only paci baby.
That is nearly exactly what we did starting halfway through our K year. We spent the first part of that year unschooling until DD made some comments that let me know she was feeling like she wasn't learning enough (though she was---she just felt like we should be doing more). She plowed through the K materials we started in Jan of that year quickly, and then has moved on through 1st grade stuff now. We are very, very relaxed, and it was nice to spend that first year...
We are using RightStart Math here, and love it! My 1st-grader is finishing up level B, and my 5-yo self-learner, ADHD, kinesthetic, busy boy is loving it, too. I started him on it a few months ago, and he thinks it is fun and it's going really well.
We spent two years homeschooling in Springfield, and I think it was a really good community that is growing all the time. There were some secular homeschoolers/unschoolers, and lots of mild religious homeschoolers--ones who are personally very religious, but open to others (like us) who are much, much less so. There are a lot of classes, a nice (BIG!) co-op, park days, girl scouts/boy scouts, homeschool classes at the Y, etc... It was a good place.
Oooh! Wooden abacus tiles! I think I will need those when my ADHD son gets to those in a few months. The cardstock constructed ones were fine for my 6-yo docile girl, but he's a different story. Must go shop for those.
We use RightStart Math, and I have liked all the manipulatives. They have all been well-made enough--I don't leave them around as toys, and use them only in "appropriate" ways during lessons. But, I have a very impulsive and rowdy 4-yo boy who uses them very successfully, without breaking anything. I also got the wooden abacus, and it has been fine, even with being stepped on, dropped, used as a weapon, etc... Do get all the cards sets used in the program. We...
My son, almost five, has ADHD and is most likely gifted. I homeschool his older sister (a first-grader right now), and Henry has been tagging along lately. It is so much fun! He would have a very, very hard time in school, likely. He did a little bit of preschool, and would probably hang in there for kinderarten (though he's solidly and easily doing first-second grade stuff now when he pops into our very relaxed "homeschool"). But once "real school" started, he's have...
Thanks, DandK. Those all sound very doable and just what he needs. I think working separately is likely what we'll have to do--it would be so nice though... (these are the thoughts that I'm still learning to let go of.) I'm glad you guys are able to be med-free. I hope that in a few years we'll be able to do that as well. But for right now, they are the only way that he has a chance of having a successful day. He is so totally out of control without them that even...
Hi all, I'm a current homeschooler with 6.5 yo girl, a nearly 5 yo boy, and a 2.5 yo boy. I've recently begun thinking about the best/easiest/smoothest for us all path for incorporating my middle child into the "schoolish" part of our family. We have a few hurdles to overcome, though, and I'm hoping for some input. A bit of background: We are a relaxed homeschool family, letting the kids lead much of their learning from real life, and supplementing my oldest with...
My HSed DD is not weird--she is very socially intuitive, good at making friends, speaks well to people of all ages, and expresses herself well. She is well-behaved, easy to take places, and enjoys meeting new people. I get fabulous feedback from people about her all the time. She is just a pleasure to be around (usually ). But, I can see how she could be boggled right now in large, unsupervised, same-age social groups. I've seen a bit of this in a few situations...