or Connect

Posts by Dot-to-Dot

I guess I don't have a problem with kids having potty humor in their own home, but my opinion about this was formed before I had kids, when I was a teacher.  It is quite obnoxious when you have to compete with a kid who can whip potty humor out of his back pocket whenever he wants and have the entire class rapt with interest just from making one fart sound or whatever.  And among kids, potty humor has a big snowball effect.  Once one kid goes down that path, you seem to...
Thank you!  I guess we're moving in that direction (gfcf)...slowly.  It's so intimidating to think of what I can cook for my forever-hungry child!  I'm so worried I won't have enough snacks and meals on hand that taste good and are satiating.  She hasn't had any milk, yogurt or cheese in almost a week and I've definitely reduced gluten a lot.  Butter will be really hard.  That has casein in it right?   swd, no, I don't do any lotion.  At times I've tried coconut oil,...
What sorts of plane treats are you making?  I will be flying with a 2 and 3 yr old in a few months but I was thinking I wouldn't be allowed to pack food in my carry on.  It's been awhile since I've flown.  I would love to take healthy treats along!
Which diet would you try if your child had these symptoms:   -Trouble winding down or controlling body.  Loud, can't cuddle because she is constantly rearranging her body and just rarely settles until the very last moment before she falls asleep.  She's accidentally pulled my hair out, given me a goose egg on my head and nearly given me a black eye on several occasions and it's truly accidental.  She's just all over the place.  Every time I bend down to help her, she...
Thanks for the responses.  I do agree that the cultural expectations for this age is too much.  Okay, I won't push.  We definitely go to the children's mueseum when we can.  It's SO much fun and she never wants to leave. We have an yearly pass.  Of course everytime the workers try to engage with her or talk to her (and they are the sweetest, gentlest people ever, I love them) she gets uncomfortable and does the whole mute, eyes closed thing.  But they usually catch on...
My 3.5 yr old dd struggles with anxiety. At home, she is very articulate, intelligent, friendly, well mannered, creative...she's great! At the store with me, she chats to people with confidence and asks questions.  She is very happy to go with us on any outing and loves learning.  She started preschool this year and LOVES it, but for 2/3 of the year I have had to peel her off of me at drop off and watch her glue herself to the wall with her face down, refusing to move or...
I just saw this thread when I came onto MDC to post this article.  You guys might want to chime in and support this columnist on Huffington Post.  I appreicate her putting this info out there so succinctly. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katharine-mckinney/breastfeeding-in-public_b_2814004.html
I think this was well written and sums up a lot of what I want to say to people who whine about nursing in public. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katharine-mckinney/breastfeeding-in-public_b_2814004.html
mashrb, yes!  My daughter can draw faces and she approximates shapes and makes very purposeful designs *at home* but just scribbles at school.    So guess what ladies!  I decided to really embrace the drawings she was coming home with.  I think my reactions to her daily drawings were lacking enthusiasm as she brought home more and more - I'm not the type of parent to gush over something that didn't take any thought or effort and I feel bad that I didn't give her more...
As I read the article posted by linn9977 I am wondering...is it typical to get a progress report?  We don't get anything like that.   "The duck, his teacher informed me the second month of school, was well maintained. "Anson likes to polish wooden objects and repeats this often," his progress report duly noted. I silently calculated how much we were paying per month (with what kinds of financial sacrifices) to subsidize our son's wood-shining habit."   Ha ha!!  I...