or Connect

Posts by mamalex23

Hi- I am a new mom too, ds is 6.5 mo, and I also live in Tiverton. We just moved here from South Dartmouth this spring and I would love to meet some local mama's and babe's. 
I let my 7 (almost 8) y/o niece carry ds in a mei tai. She was born in West Africa where it is common for young children to cary babies on their backs in a cloth. She remembers this and has been begging to carry him for months. I do a rucksac-type carry on her, putting the baby up high on her back and doing a tibetan tie in the front. She loves it and so does the babe, but I ask frequently if she is tired and don't let her carry him too long.
Good for you! I fell in love after making longies from thrifted sweaters. I search for reg shirts for babe at the thrift store too, sometimes there are a bunch and sometimes none. We have occasionally snapped the onsies on right over the longies. This is kinda funny/cute in an '80's dancer sort of way, but it is really cozy covering the mid-drift area in the mean time.
I know that wide variations in infant poop are "normal," but I was just wondering if there are any ideas about curds verse no curds.   DS is 5.5 mo and mostly poos in sink. sometimes it is smooth consistency honey-mustard looking and sometimes it has lighter colored curds. What is this? Does any one know?
I use prefolds, or flats folded like prefolds, fastened with snappi under wool longies as my regular system. I have tried a little bit of everything, and this is what works best. It is also very economical. The Snappi almost never comes undone if fastened properly. I wiggle the teeth a little to make sure it catches. I notice it will come undone if it's not pulled snuggly.   Wool longies are so expensive to buy. I highly recommend making some. I make mine out of...
How do you quote just a sentence from a post??   Kindermama- I love how you said you believe in raising your children to be blessings to others. I believe children are blessing too.   I think at this time on our earth, loved and wanted children are really important. If all the men who lead our country, and others, into mindless wars and irresponsible debts had been well-loved and truly wanted they would be leading us to peace and wholesome prosperity. Hopefully...
I read your post again and you said you can't tell if it's too sweet or sour, that it's just "strong" tasting.   Is it possible that the mothers has gone sour? I have found that a SCOBY can go bad if a batch goes too long and gets really sour. The subsequent batches may carry the over-fermented flavor. I don't know if this may have happened to your SCOBY, just thought I would share.   We got a new SCOBY, but with my kefir grains I flush them out with a couple of...
I think you need to let the 'bouch ferment longer. Interesting idea about using the oven...   We live in NE and in the summer we let a batch (same size) go ~2 weeks, in the winter, 3 before we harvest. We then bottle it with fresh pressed apple/ginger juice that we make with an electric juicer. This sits out for ~1 week with trial bottles getting chilled and tasted after 5-6 days.   My guess is that your oven brew is probably similar to our summer brew, may even...
Another vote for natural laytex, we sprung for one this past spring when I was pg with ds1. It was the only *new* thing we bought when we moved into our new place. I LOVE it! Cosleeping with our LO makes us all very happy, and me and Dh being  tall people and all three of us being BIG sleepers, the king size is amazing. Before this we slept on futons and really like that too. I could still sleep on one, but the laytex never leaves me waking sore like a futon or straw...
you can also let the batch ferment longer. Here is what I do in winter:   I use 1/3 cup sugar per quart jar and let ferment 3 full days   then I harvest (strain each quart jar into 3 tall jelly jars, leaving some room at top   put a small amount of pure juice, still leaving a little room at top for the carbonic acid -if sweetened add nothing else, if unsweetened add a little more sugar   let this ferment for an additional 3 days, you can go longer if if...