or Connect

Posts by Naturallove

I signed up for TFW about 3 months ago and it is really amazing. It comes with a lot  (form drawing intensive, planning intensive 4/5yo kindergarten lessons, I think the 6 yo kindy curriculum is coming to it soon, as much consulting as you need). Melisa also just started including one years curriculum (your grade of choice) with it and their is a TFW forum coming soon. I must say I have been very pleased with the amount and quality of the content, but I don't know how it...
Yes, absolutely. But I think your answer will depend on why you have decided to homeschool. We are not homeschooling because of we don't live near a "good" school. In fact, we actually live across the street from one of the best elementary schools in our area and we still homeschool. However, we chose this path because it's what feels right for our family and we feel like the school system as a whole is broken. I also think deciding to homeschool for high school is a...
We purchased a 2 year old Tempurpedic before baby number 3 was born and it has been great! I obviously can't speak to the initial off-gassing (it has zero odor now), but it is (IMHO) the safest thing to put a newborn on. The Tempur material is completely different than any of the other memory foam mattresses on the market. The material compresses based on weight. My newborn was 10lbs 10oz and she didn't make a dent in it. She laid flat on the surface. I think it's much...
Just an FYI you can get the Ebook of Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding from the publishers website for $5! I just bought it the other day. http://outskirtspress.com/webpage.php?ISBN=9781432706104
We are doing second grade this year, also. We use: Five in a Row - we use this for all subjects Language Arts: Handwriting Without Tears, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (phonics), Explode the Code (phonics and writing) Math: Right Start B (I can't recommend Right Start enough. I never thought math could be so fun and hands on.) History: Story of the World vol 1 (My son loves this, too! There are lots of fun activities to go with each chapter and...
Based on what you want, I don't know of an all-subject open and go curriculum that would work for you. You may want to decide on the subjects you want to teach and choose separate curriculum for each. In my experience, the curriculum available for the early grades is either academically sound or incorporates lots of online/computer based activities (the only exception I can think of is Math Mammoth). I think getting comfortable using a computer is important so, I let my...
I would highly recommend The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise. It is a wonderful phonics curriculum that I am using with my kindergartner. She uses lots of rhymes/poems that my DS5 LOVES and makes games out of learning the sounds. The lessons are short and scripted, you can easily summarize if this bothers you.
That is quite the list. I have read many of those and one thing I would say is don't bog yourself down getting caught up reading so many books on birthing. As PPs have pointed out there are many other aspects of pregnancy and parenting that deserve as much, if not more, attention. I think you will also find after you read 4 or 5 of those that they begin to get repetitive and run together.
I think as long as you install the fix there should not be a problem. I think it would be a problem if you didn't have the fix.
I recently got this Amazonas wrap http://shopzerberts.com/item_93/Amazonas-Classic-Carry-Sling--Carrageen.php on clearance at Zerberts. They are usually $104, but I got mine for $83 with shipping between the clearnace and using coupon code EXCLUSIVE. They just have a couple more available at the clearance price. I checked around and this woven wrap has really great reviews and is also lighter weight which I was looking for. From all the research I have done, cheap woven...