or Connect

Posts by worthy

Sounds like you have a good perspective on the situation and a really positive attitude.  I hope it works out!   Where we live now, everything is ideal except I have a very very very tiny yard.  Happens it's got good sun exposure and it's all in one "chunk" -- I won't be able to have a large garden, but I'm tackling the challenge of using the available space, building raised beds, putting in permaculture (fruit plantings), etc.  Also I have planter boxes for my porch and...
 Yep, this is where I'm at.  I think most Americans are probably not in this category, though -- our culture is so incredibly consumerist, shopping is an entertainment and a pasttime, and there is all kind of pressure to acquire new and better things.  "Opting out" is always an option!  I made this transition years ago, but I appreciated the support I got here, and now it seems like a completely natural way to do things.  I don't miss "shopping" and the few times I've gone...
Quick answer:  If there are no unaffordable or unfixable major flaws with the house, which a good home inspection will uncover, buy it.   I was in a position once where I thought we needed more space, so we moved to a much larger house, and after living there for awhile, it turned out we really would have done fine without the extra space.  We now live in a much smaller house, closer to the size of the first house than the second.  Maybe your new hobby and focus for any...
 Yes, exactly.  Thank you for the affirmation.  I am in the same place -- and I'm self-employed, and my paychecks come at the whim of my client (though I submit regularly and they pay me fairly soon after, I never know which day it's coming and I get very nervous if it comes later than usual!  Days make a difference.) Yep, no food stamps here, though our food budget is very tight.  Financial security seems like something I would ask a fairy godmother for if I could!  I...
  Indeed.  This is why I'm always hoping for a windfall (but not counting on one).  This is great, and something like what "pantry challenge" means to me -- just buy perishables (for us this is bread, eggs, corn chips) and use up what we have already.  I would bake bread but I'm gluten-intolerant and can't handle the contamination in my kitchen, though three of my kids eat gluten.  Hoping to get a chicken coop set up in the next year or two so we have an ongoing supply of...
Seems to be the American way for many right now...   I don't have "bad" debt -- I have monthly payments for a car loan (I believe the car will outlive the loan) and some tax debt (which will not be repeated, once it's gone).  I make payments to my kids' orthodontist and I pay rent in a situation where I'm actually accruing some equity toward eventual purchase of the house.  I have payment plans for the kids' activities as well.  I haven't used a credit card in...over two...
Hoo boy.  Okay.  2014.  I want to get myself into a position where I'm not feeling constantly on the edge.  I have enough to pay bills, necessities, and activities for the kids...if I am very careful.  I am not very good at being 100% careful, so I want to be more disciplined in 2014.  No extras that aren't budgeted for, and staying within the exact numbers of the budget.    I am anticipating a couple of large-to-me windfalls sometime this year that will allow me to have...
Why?
Keep the car I own, or trade it for an identical model with more mileage at a cheaper price? My friend who helped me get my current car (2005 Honda CRV) is a retired used-car dealer. A good ex-neighbor and he's been helpful to me. Last year, I asked him to buy me a specific car at auction, and he financed it for me. Unfortunately my time-frame was narrow and we didn't get a great price, but it was within my "car budget," I needed it then, and I went with it. I...
Put things that often get left "on" on power strips with lit switches.  We shut down the CD player when it's not being used.  We have some computer plugs that stay plugged in for convenience, so we turn off those power strips when people aren't using the computer.  Also things like chargers -- you can easily see if they are using power when not in use and shut off the power strip.  I zip-tied power strips onto lower parts of furniture so they're easy to reach and use,...