or Connect

Posts by worthy

Well, I have one of these things, too http://www.homedepot.com/p/BlueSource-HydroKit-Toilet-Repair-with-Dual-Flush-Converter-HYR451T/202762847#.UWlbBMrF8t0 and it works really, really well to save water.  Saves more water than I was able to with bricks/rocks/jugs in my toilet AND the flush system is adjustable, so if it doesn't go down, you just adjust it incrementally until you get a consistent result.  With ours, if the 1-drop flush doesn't do it, the 2-drop flush can...
I don't see a problem with only offering water or tea to drink, or limiting portions, but there needs to be sufficient abundance of food.  I do have juice or lemonade or something special for parties.  I limit (for example) meat portions even when we have guests, but we always have lots of filler-upper kinds of foods available, and heck -- popcorn is one of the cheapest things to snack on!  I would not feel pressured to say yes if a guest looked in my fridge and asked if...
  Depends on the layout.  I have four kids (two teens, two preteens) in a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house and we homeschool, and it's fine.  We currently have 1450 sf.  When they were younger (3 kids age 5 and under) we had an 1100sf townhouse with 1.5 baths and it was fine.  I think many other factors can help, like the yard, neighborhood, layout of the house, does the house FEEL spacious even if it's small, or does it feel claustrophobic, etc.  I think one thing that helps in...
I want to increase my family's bean/legume consumption and need some simple and yummy recipes.  Here is what I have to work with (winter pantry stuff):   red, green, and French lentils white, red, black, and pinto beans garbanzo beans   onions, garlic carrots, potatoes fresh cabbage, kale frozen green beans, peas, corn canned tomatoes apples, raisins   brown, white, arborio, sushi, and MN wild rice quinoa, millet   bacon fat, olive oil,...
We always give family a 5x7 of the kids and a nice handmade card.  That's it.  Years ago I gave them all frames and every year we "fill" them with an updated photo.  I agree with the advice not to get attached with what the person does with the gift, and to me a photo is one of those things that they can put up and enjoy all year or just enjoy in the moment and treat as disposable and I'm not going to feel money or effort was wasted (since I'm giving all the relatives...
Hooks.   I would see if you can retrain him to always change his clothes in one place.   If not, I'd put dedicated hooks (for half-worn stuff) and a laundry basket (for dirty stuff) everywhere he is likely to toss something.  Get him hanging up the rewearables and putting the dirties in the basket.   We used to have a laundry basket in our entryway and one in each bedroom.  If there had been space I would have put one in the bathroom.  One kid's job was to...
Here is what I do.  (Haven't read the thread though.)   Trash gets taken out rarely.  We have little bathroom trash and it just adds up for awhile and then when I have enough time on a random trash day I'll bring the bag upstairs and empty the bedroom/bathroom trash into the big bag. Basically I only do it when it bugs me.   I keep a toilet swisher (the kind in a vase-like container) behind my toilet, with Bac-Out and water in the container.  When I use the...
  Same here.  My ideal is to end up only buying foodstuffs (nuts, dried fruit, tangerines, chocolate, etc) in December.  This year was a bit hectic with moving and I need to "assess" what I have in the tubs (I have three, but all are not Xmas gifts) and see if there are gaps.  Hopefully there will not be many, if any.  If I have to I'll just stretch things in Dec to make it happen, but over the years, I've kept my kids expectations low on purpose.   
  Yay for you!!!   I've been in my new home for 2-1/2 months now.  Feels like a lifetime.  Still haven't found a place for everything, but mostly because there has been various work done that required moving furniture and other things, so the putting-things-away work has been delayed.  I love my new house!  There is much less storage space, which means I have to be really organized and picky.  I decided to leave all of our "library" in lidded filing boxes, organized and...
  We have french toast for dinner once every 1-2 weeks.  To use up the bread the kids decided was too old, too hard, too end-y, not their fave.  I have started tossing the bread dregs in the freezer and pulling them out the day of french toast.  Of course I make the french toast with water, not milk -- just eggs, water, cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup for the top (lucky for us, we live in maple syrup country.)   I make "rice-n-stuff" a lot -- same as fried rice but not...