or Connect

Posts by worthy

Quote: Originally Posted by dakotablue Yeah...I'm not happy with the Fed right now. Not a good plan. I guess part of me feels that if $20 won't go as far in a year or two I'd rather have it pay off debt that doesn't change than pay more for food. KWIM? Put me here, too. I think a conservative approach would be to do both. Get your pantry in order at a reasonable rate that is comfortable for you, and pay what's left to your debt so that the...
We do a lot of homemade - paper chains, ornaments, pictures the kids drew in holiday colors, etc. I don't buy live decorations except we do buy a tree. We save our ornaments/decor every year and reuse it. You could make stars from pie plates, etc. We save bows and paper each year, when possible. I have a bin in the garage where they go, and I haven't had to buy bows in longer than I can remember. Are you near anyplace where you can scrounge nature? Like,...
I think the key is finding the balance among those three things that feels acceptable to you. cheap, fast, good I have had times when good/cheap was the priority, and though I was busy enough with my four little ones, I was not working so I had time to work with. I have had times in my mothering when good/fast was the priority and we could more easily afford not-cheap. I guess I draw the line at fast/cheap, because I value good much more highly than the other...
Quote: Originally Posted by texmati Thank you for this thread! We live in 3200 sqft. and I can't keep up with it. We are 3, soon to be 4, but we bought the extra large home to put some distance between us and MIL; but now she has moved out. Could you close off some of the rooms/areas or whatever part of the house you thought of as your MIL's? I would consider that. We hardly used our downstairs level at all for a few years, and that was like...
For my family (four kids) we rarely do activities where it would cost more than $20-25 for our family, and that would have to be for a satisfying length of time (I'm not sure if you're doing a time cap?). With four kids and me, I might pay $5/kid, but not $10. I am a big fan of "family price caps" because it doesn't become a hardship for larger families due to their size. Some events, even if priced reasonably per person, become cost-prohibitive very fast. Around here,...
I read and then wrote something in another thread recently (the over 2000sf homes thread) that got me thinking in a newly-inspired way about decluttering. It's not the stuff, it's the space. By that I don't mean the shape of the space, or what you do with it, or what you can or can't change about it. I'm talking literally about the area in your house where there is No Stuff (or where you would like for there to be No Stuff). I am still working on this idea,...
Thanks for all the replies! I didn't find much on Overstock.com, but I can keep checking. I thought about buying Target's, but then saw in reviews that they were not good quality. I'm glad to hear this was not the experience of some here. (The have a SUPER-cute set that unfortunately is sold out in twin - too bad!) I will look into Sears black friday sale. I appreciate the ideas very much. It's something I almost never shop for - most of our sheets were...
Time. And we go through cycles where we cannot find chapstick or nail clippers, even though we have several of each. And then they all converge again, and then they disperse again...
Quote: Originally Posted by doubledutch i can't believe some people have too many socks. i never have enough socks. i don't know what happens to them! i guess also part of the problem may be that i like nice socks, but i don't like paying for them . . . hmm. Cheap socks here.
And where would you go for low-price decent-quality solid-color all-cotton flannel sheets? I don't have a Marshalls or TJMaxx or Target less than an hour away, though I could make the trip. There is no Home Goods near us. The hitch is that I want comparable sets for each of my four kids, and I want it to be easy. They will be Christmas gifts, so I can't wait until post-holiday sales, unfortunately. Wish I had thought of this last year. Also I'm picky about...