or Connect

Posts by worthy

Update -- looks like our offer was verbally accepted late this evening and the sellers are planning to sign the P&S tomorrow.  The house hasn't even hit the MLS yet -- we have an awesome realtor.  I think that means I can get cautiously excited!  
  I fell completely in love with the first house just in time to find it under contract to someone else.    The second house, we saw once yesterday evening and again this morning.  I like it, but the yard is very very small.  I am coming to terms with that.  It would be a wonderful house for me and my kids.  The location is ideal, the house is gorgeous (vintage -- and updated by owners who expected to live there forever.)   My parents would be buying the house and...
  Thanks for asking.  It's unaffordable.  My parents were trying to work things out so we could swing it, and it isn't possible.   I shifted from Plan A (big house, acreage, out in the country) to Plan B (smaller house, yard, in-town) over the past week or so, and I'm feeling very strong about that shift in our plan.  Suddenly realized that living in town would mean saving a ton of money (gas and mortgage/taxes) and time (driving), would allow my kids to walk or bike to...
Looking at a house today, and I'm really excited.  It's in a great neighborhood, affordable, sweet, nice yard, quiet, looks like a solid house.   It's...modest.  We'd be cutting our square footage almost in half (which is admittedly more than we need -- we have 2400 and this house is 1400) and losing virtually all of our storage space.   ACK!   I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.  If we get this house, it will be a great and wonderful thing.  I'm just use...
Yay, I love seeing people's activity in this thread.    My kids are going to their dad's today for a week, and unlike other times when they have been gone, I have nothing planned (except the usual -- work, housework, decluttering, cleaning, preliminary packing, etc).  I've been so overwhelmed with all the other stuff I'm juggling, this feels like an oasis...I hope to get myself moved further down the track of being ready to leave here when the time comes.  I hope it...
lunarlady, I'm so glad to hear you've "landed"!  Keep us posted as you get yourself settled.  I like to think of moving as a new beginning without clutter.  (After the piles-of-boxes stage, of course.)  It's an opportunity.   My mantra for today -- I don't have to get it all done today.  I ended up doing some spontaneous social things yesterday that cut into my time at home.  Not sure whether I made the right call about that.  But the reality is, the world won't end...
Thanks for the responses, and I can give an update.   The lawyer strongly recommended foreclosure and bankruptcy.  It's true that I don't have to file bankruptcy if XH does, but in that case the entirety of our joint debt would become mine to repay.  There is more debt than just the mortgage deficiency; there is a very large tax liability that came to light only in the late stages of the divorce process (it was entirely his fault, but legally we are jointly...
I just want to say that I love my Shop Vac.  I vacuumed a large portion of my garage this week and it is awesomely clean.  I can even walk barefoot in it (never would allow that before).   Today I'm taking a bunch of compost and recycling to the dump.  Yesterday I dropped two big bags of packing materials off for someone in town who has an ebay business and is grateful for them.  Hmm, maybe I'll do more in the garage today if it isn't too hot.   Love the snowball...
Today I cleaned/organized a lot in my garage.  THE PILE is gone.  Whew.  There is stuff to re-tidy and put-in-the-right-bins around the perimeter, but I could actually put my car in my garage if I wanted to.  First time in YEARS.  I am amazed.   I am still caught in a sense of wonder -- will it really stay that way?  I think so, because I'm decluttering a decade's worth of clutter in this house from a failed marriage, and a lifetime's worth of clutter that my mother...
Ugh.  I am out of steam.  Whew.  Recycling is piled into my car, trash and paper compost and metal recycling just waiting for the right day to get rid of them.  There are still a couple of boxes of junk to go through, and other cleanup/tidying on the things I'm definitely keeping.  But I made a lot of progress and I shouldn't have expected to get it all miraculously done in one morning.  I hate the slow nature of this -- the garage has been a mess since we moved in, and...