or Connect

Posts by nanette0269

My kids have been at the same montessori for over 2 years now.  They were both doing fantastically until the start of this year.  My daughter's transition to 1st grade was a bit rough, but after the first few weeks, we settled into it and she is already on her 2nd grade math book...progress is nice!   My son, on the other hand, has had an awful time.  He is in the same class with the same teacher, but its been trying to say the least.  True, kindergarten is much more...
My daughter was quick to do all the work when entering montessori.  My son, on the other hand, had to learn on his terms.  Moving him from one activity to another was hard for the teachers, and they had to change their approach with him, more so than other kids. He LOVED the housekeeping lessons, and still does.   They found ways to move him by experimenting....  for example, one teacher always had to get him to agree that "in 5 minutes, we will move to another...
Our school is similar in some regards, but the focus is on all natural, rather than organic.  Sure, organic would be nice...but then again, if we get the junk out of hte foods, we've managed to incease health by 95% :)  No added sugar items ever, even on birthdays.  All fruit popsicles are the standard birthday item for the class.  The kids grow organic food in the school garden, and the lunch program is all natural.  Water is typically the drink served at functions. ...
Perfect for helicopter parents, which unfortunately I dont think we should be encouraging.  Sure, I want to know how my child is progressing, but that amount of detail is not necessary.  I'd rather get a better understanding of where they place in their peer group (eg in reading, are they slower than most kids their age, on par or advanced).  Knowing the specifics won't help me.  Data overload here.  And I think it would simply put more pressure on the teachers to...
Haev you seen a montesori classroom in higher grades?  they are quite different!  The 1st-3rd grade uses a lot of hands-on tools like primary, but mostly for math.  The 4th-5th use about 50/50, while the 6th graders use maybe 25%.  By the time they reach teh 7th-8th grade class, they do have some manipulatives in the room, but the vast majority are using traditional books.  Sure, there are science projects/engineering projects that are hands-on, but honestly, at this...
did you use a spraybottle or drop it or submerge?  i'm eager to try kettle dying!
Mohair comes form angora goats....angora rabits and angora goats originated in Turkey, ankara region (ankara somehow was translated to angora).
Bullying is not the same thing that we experienced growing up....its taken on a whole new context in the last 10+ years.  For whatever reason, some children's behaviors escalate.  My friends was such a case.  After months of pleading with the school, talking to the teachers, they were finally successful at separating their child from the other child.  When this happened, the bully turned onto another victim, and they watched how he slowly escalated his actions to the...
i got a little guage thing.  i just dont understand why it would be so hard for them to carve the size into the end of the needle :)
 Again, legal action should be the last resort.  But if someone is intimidating a child, there is no way for the child to truly learn anything on how to avoid dangerous people.  A friend of mine recently went through this.  For months, her son was tormented.  The child was then restricted from interacting with her son, which worked 90% of the time.  Eventually, the child started tormenting another child with physical aggression and true wounds.  You can teach a child to...