or Connect

Posts by tooraloora

I used to dust avocado cubes with nutritional yeast, and roll banana slices in oats. Some people use crushed cereal. 
As long as baby is happy, keeping her weight up, and growing normally, I really wouldn't worry. There have been many times my kids have seemed to subsist on air, but it has always just been a phase. My youngest enjoyed solids, but he has never been a big eater. What you described above was a pretty typical day for him at that age, especially when he had teeth coming. He just didn't have time for solids. He had a big world to explore. He's almost 3 now and perfectly...
I get a pretty reasonable amount of me time these days. We have a nice, fenced in backyard with a garden, which happens to be a fantastic educational opportunity. Here, if the sun is up, the children should be out. If it is hot, there are two huge oak trees just made for shade, and they know where the water hose is. If it is raining, they should be dancing in it. If it is storming or they need to pee, well, then they can come in. If it is nap time for the two year old,...
When I'm getting ready to lose it, I kick the kids out. We have a nice, fenced in back yard, which they are supposed to be in for the most part when the sun is up anyways. We don't do a lot of inside time. I grew up outside in my happiest homes, and I prefer they grow up outside, too. They may whine about it at times (well, my oldest does), but overall, they're happier after a day outside than a day in. So for the most part, they shouldn't be in the house driving me nuts...
It depends on the circumstances. If DS is having a meltdown because he's been overstimulated, I pick him up and move him to a quiet room and sit beside him until he is ready to be comforted (which doesn't tend to take long once he has been moved). If things just aren't going his way, I sit down beside him where he is. If he's overtired, I pick him up and sit down with him, at which point he screams he wants down, I ask him if he's tired, he says yes, he nurses, and then...
My 2 year old can be a complete and total sweetheart, and then try out for a role in the next Exorcist at the drop of a hat. I've noticed with him that he gets overstimulated really easy, and things most people wouldn't realize could be upsetting add up and spoil his mood. He won't always complain, but he hates loud noises and constant noise. If we decide to vacuum, then run the dishwasher, then make a smoothie, before that smoothie is done, DS is going to be wreaking...
We discuss words and look things up when DD has the urge, but for when she wants to write, I just got her a dictionary and taught her how to look words up. That way she can check words she isn't sure about but can still write on her own. I don't know about your DS, but though she likes to share when she's done, she likes to be able to write on her own. She just wants it all to be right, too. Also, she retains information best when she finds it herself and immediately...
My DD is 8 and has specifically asked for a penpal several times. She's obsessed with fairies, dragons, and talking. She also loves dancing and reading. She has a little brother (almost 3), a dog, a cat, and a hamster. She'd love a friend to write to.
Everyone has a different comfort level. My ex and his girlfriend requested this past fall that I send 2 year old DS from Florida to Kentucky for the entire summer, despite the facts that DS is two, still nursing, and they haven't met yet (I politely declined). Ex's daughters have spent extended time with their grandmother, moms, and dad from infancy. It's their normal. But it isn't DS' normal. I know him, what he is used to, and have a pretty good idea of what he is and...
My kids are with me 24 hours a day just about every day, so lord knows I totally get the need for me time, but I worry that two weeks may be just too much too soon. How frequently does he visit his family? Would it be possible to start with maybe 2-3 days and work up to more since overnights are impractical?