or Connect

Posts by tooraloora

With DD (8 now) at that age, wiping was a huge problem. It resolved pretty much instantly when we switched to family cloth. I made two-ply squares from the massive quantities of receiving blankets left over from my youngest, and kept them in a basket next to the toilet with a peri bottle. She found the family cloth more comfortable and easier to use than toilet paper, especially if she wet it with the peri bottle first. That and a large number of the receiving blankets I...
I've never been separated from my nursling for more than an overnight, so I can't really speak from experience on the breastfeeding end of this. However, I'm wondering if it is really necessary to start with such a long visit. 2 weeks is a long time for such a young child to stay with someone he doesn't know. Yes, this is his father, but he's still practically a stranger. While I do really appreciate the need for them to get to know each other (it is something I'm...
I can totally understand that. I have nursed my DS down for naps and bed for the past 2, nearly 3 years. In the past couple months he's begun falling asleep off the breast, but up until then, with me, he only fell asleep at the breast. For the first two years, I was the only person to ever put him down for a nap or to sleep at night. Never had anyone else try. The first night he ever spent away from me, I was a wreck. Turned out he hardly noticed I was gone until morning....
Imo, the after pains weren't bad at all (with either babe), and it didn't last long. I noticed more pain during let down, though only with my second, and it was still very much bearable. Though I've heard it can go differently, in my experience, the "normal" pains are no big deal. As someone who has both bottle fed and exclusively breastfed, I can honestly say bottle feeding was more of a pain, even if it was in a figuritive sense. I got a heck of a lot more sleep this...
Most boys don't retract until puberty, sometimes later, sometimes never (which is only a problem if it is uncomfortable for him). If he's still in diapers, I doubt he's of an age where this is something to pay any mind to. The hole is supposed to be quite small. It should close tightly over the head of the penis, and relax a bit when he urinates. This is a good thing. It protects his penis. As long as he can urinate, he's fine. What is they say? If he can pee, let it be?...
Breastfeeding my first child was a disaster. I had everything people told me I had to have. Had the boppy, lanolin nipple cream, a good pump, all the stuff I needed to go along with the pump, reusable breast pads, disposable breast pads, et cetera. Pumping was the biggest mistake I ever made, with disposable breast pads coming in a close second. Not saying you shouldn't pump at all, but I am saying unless you actually NEED to pump, I wouldn't beyond building up a freezer...
Your hearing is fine. Cells phones really do sound fuzzy and crappy. Cell phones are one of the modern conveniences I love, but I hate that they've taken the place of regular phones. I especially hate that people now find it acceptable to call your cell whenever for any reason now. Mine is primarily for emergencies, which no one really gets anymore. If I'm going to have a real conversation with someone, I'd rather it be in person or on a phone where I can hear them...
Treadles are better made and offer more control. I make fewer errors on a treadle.   As for the washer, the one I have in mind uses less water and is more efficient than most modern machines, and I don't mind wringing before drying.   I'm a recovering geek. Once upon a time, I was a business solutions software programmer, loved gadgets, and artificial intelligence programming was my main hobby. Then I realized technology ate my life, and took a step back. All in all, I'm...
I tend to be more surprised over things people have begun using, rather than old technologies they still use. But then, I'm weird. I'm 26, yet I prefer a treadle sewing machine to an electric, hands down, I'd rather manually grind my own coffee beans than use an electric grinder, I love coffee, but despise electric coffee makers, I won't even look at an electric can opener, I insist my children learn to use an abacus, and I find the concept of browsing the internet on a...
I was 18 when I gave birth to my DD. My DS was born one day after my 24th birthday.