or Connect

Posts by tooraloora

Our homeschool group has been a huge help with socializing. We have a park day once a week, there are other free activities hosted by the group (like the mother/daughter tea party a couple months ago), field trips to low cost places at group rates making the outings even cheaper, et cetera. Also, certain stores sometimes offer free classes for kids. Lately Home Depot has been offering free wood working workshops. We went to the last two. DD made a planter, a bird feeder,...
These days DS is really only interested in a food if it is some sort of fresh fruit, a green vegetable, or really spicy. If it doesn't fit into the first two categories, I crack red pepper over it or pour on a little tabasco sauce and he's good to go. On the go foods can be tricky for us lately. When it's practical, I bring a box of fresh strawberries or blueberries. Otherwise, I bring homemade Lara bar type things and he'll occasionally nibble on one. He also really,...
My DS (almost 21 months) was terrified of water up until maybe 2 months ago, so baths just didn't happen. He took showers in my arms. I have never used soap to wash his hair (though I'll occasionally use a little baking soda if he gets it really dirty), and rinsing it in the shower has always been enough to keep it looking and smelling fresh and clean. When I do need the baking soda, since he already has water pouring on his head from the shower, he doesn't tend to...
You could try a cat garden. Pick a spot out of the way and plant a bed of catnip, cat mint, and/or cat thyme, leave a patch of dirt to roll in, and throw in a shaded rest spot. Sometimes an area setup with the stuff they like will make the rest of the garden less appealing.
My DS' latch got a little lazy around when he cut his first few teeth. I did the same thing as when we had a bad latch when he was a newborn. I took him off, and tried again. It took him about 2 days to catch on that he wasn't going to get a good, uninterrupted meal unless he latched on properly. He's 20 months now and we haven't really had any problems since then, even though he has a whole bunch of teeth now. If you can feel teeth, he isn't latched on right. 
I've been willing to use non-toxic, temporary coloring on DD's hair for as long as she's had hair to color (so since about 2.5). I have a picture of her with purple hair when she was nearly 3. At 7, she can still do whatever she wants with her hair, providing it is temporary and non-toxic. If 20 month old DS sees me coloring DD's hair and wants a little color on his, that's fine, too. I am not willing to allow anything permanent or toxic until they are mature enough to...
DS is 18 months now and we still nurse in public. I figure we'll start being more private about it when he needs it less (he's a big comfort nurser and outings can be a little stressful for him) and I'm feeling less comfortable. I'm not particularly concerned with what age that happens.
I was threatened with being kicked out of a billiards bar several years ago for kissing my then girlfriend because it was "a family place." Minors weren't even allowed in that late at night. Once one of the bartenders came back with a big smile to "keep an eye on us," we decided to kick ourselves out.    Also, I'm pretty sure I was kicked out of a hotel once when I was a teenager due to a impromptu drunken party. The details are hazy, though. I'm not at all social...
During the toddler stage, taking a playful approach or letting them help in some way if they're nagging while I'm busy has always worked out best for me.    With DS (18 months), after going back and forth the first couple times, sometimes I'll switch it up with something like "Nope, you can't have crackers, but you can have A TICKLE ATTACK!", I'll chase him around holding out my arms insisting he pick me up, or I'll mimic his typical food request (he asks for a bite,...
I'm not sure. The longest I've ever stayed in one place in my entire life was 4 years. I usually move at least twice per year, often more. I'd guess somewhere in the ball park of 50 moves.