or Connect

Posts by tooraloora

I was about 15 when I started drinking. I mostly drank in homes, but occasionally went to bars. I did not have a fake ID. I just knew the right people at the right bars. Older men liked me and were prone to turning a blind eye to whatever I wanted to do. My mother and her husband realized I was drinking at 16. Sometimes they were strictly against it. Other times they wanted a buddy to drink with so they encouraged it. I mostly drank because I have a crippling social...
My DD is a bit older (7 last week), but that's been a battle since DS was born 18 months ago. She just loves her baby brother so much and wants to interact with him all the time. DD being a little behind on picking up social cues has made it difficult. It's gotten a lot better, though. Helping her understand his body language has been very helpful. When he's fussing and/or struggling, I point it out to her and explain what it means. Like "DD, see how DS is pulling away...
We avoid soy for the most part. We still use Brag's occasionally, though. We very rarely eat packaged foods, so it hasn't been difficult. I make snack foods to bring with us when we're out or when we just want a quick snack (like Lara Bar type things, roasted chick peas, snack mix, et cetera), or just pack some fresh fruit and nuts (both kids will eat their weight in berries) so that we don't end up in the position of having to buy convenience foods.
DD was born when I was 18, and DS was born the day after my 24th birthday.
I don't. I may consider it for brief trips when my kids are considerably older (they are 18 months and 7 years right now), but for the next few years, no. First, I see it as an unnecessary risk, second, I have some really unpleasant childhood memories from being left in a car for hours on end and the thought of putting my children in similar situations (even for short periods of time) makes me ill.
Balls, art supplies, dress up stuff, and child sized self care and cleaning stuff are my go to items for little ones.
My 18 month old has always loved to be read to, but DD was not at all into it when she was a toddler. Pushing it just turned her off it even more, so I quit. She saw me reading all the time, I occasionally offered to read to her, kept board books around for her to flip through on her own, and she finally started getting interested when she was almost 4. She just turned 7. She reads all the time by herself now (seriously, constantly), she reads to her brother, and she...
I didn't even realize Amazon had the "look inside" feature. Thanks.   After reading through a few, I think I'm going to return them and get DD one of the books she has asked for. They aren't the most awful things I've ever come across, but how DD takes them could really go either way. 
I guess my biggest concern is that DD is still "finding herself" so to speak, and is prone to emulating behaviors of those she likes (in real life and book characters) if she doesn't see said behaviors resulting in undesirable consequences. We have a lot going on right now, so the idea of handing her a stack of trouble is beyond unappealing. Basically, I have no problem with letting her have books I find annoying, but right now, don't want to give her books with a...
I am in Florida. You also have the option of using an umbrella school, which is what I chose. We're working under Florida Unschoolers. They do not charge and all I have to do is report attendance quarterly, which consists of going to their website and entering the number of days DD has participated in learning (minimum of 180 days per year) after receiving an email reminder. No portfolio reviews, no evaluations. It takes away the stress of having to convince someone else...