or Connect

Posts by tooraloora

My DS (17 months) just recently started really talking. At 15 months, I was getting concerned and considering speech therapy, but ultimately decided to wait a little longer. He had said a few words here and there, but only once each, so I'd started to think maybe it was just babbling I'd read too much into. Just when I started really worrying, his communication skills took off. I kept at it showing him signs and giving him words before and during various activities (like...
Totally forum crashing, but I just wanted to say: I've had several different close friends come with me to various gyn appointments over the years, even for pap smears. I have major social anxiety and never go out without a support person. It has never been a problem. I've always been given the option to have my friend leave when it is time to get under the paper gown and prior to being asked really personal questions, but it has never been pushed even a little after...
In most places, I would consider these ads too harsh. Georgia isn't one of those places. In certain areas I've spent a lot of time and have relatives (GA being one of those areas), I've noticed a disturbing number of people believing you aren't healthy unless you're big. I got a lot of criticism (and even CPS calls) from various people up north because my DD was a healthy weight and I didn't shovel cake and cookies down her throat. It isn't enough that their own children...
I use both. DD knows the correct terms for her bodily functions, and uses them when we're being technical or speaking to the doctor, but uses pee or poop usually.
My DD (almost 7) was 5 when DS was born. He wasn't planned and honestly, I was really terrified about what he might take away from her when I first found out I was pregnant. However, DD has benefited from his existence so much more than I would have imagined. He is her best friend. She may not always be the center of attention now, and there were times in the beginning that she experienced a lot of jealousy, and some hurt feelings when he was too little for her to do...
When we aren't being specific, we just use "genitals" to describe the whole package, male or female. Mislabeling for the sake of simplicity or avoiding unpleasant words just seems like it would leave too much room for confusion and potentially shame and embarrassment, imo. DS won't have any real use for proper names of female genitals for a very long time, however, I don't want DD getting the impression that there is something so embarrassing or shameful about her...
I got a new one today. I was talking to an old friend on the phone, and upon learning that DS is still breastfeeding at 17 months, she asked "Now don't you think it's time to wean?". I said he would stop breastfeeding when he's ready, but that I hope to continue until at least 2. After a dramatic bout of choking and sputtering, she informed me that if I let him nurse that long, he will grow up to be obsessed with breasts. I cracked up. Yes, I must wean him now else he is...
  My DD started masturbating about a year ago (same age as your DD then), and we basically had the same talk. I won't say we're totally on the other side yet, but we're getting there. I can count on one hand how many times I've had to remind her to do it in private in the last several months, though it was pretty frequent when she first figured out that neat trick. I worried a lot for awhile, because while I fully believe that masturbation is a normal, healthy...
DD (7 this month) is like that, too. I occasionally ask her to stop when I really need some quiet, but it only lasts a few seconds (literally) before she starts up again. She public schooled last year for kindergarten and it was a big problem. She got in trouble a lot for all the noise making. I remember her oldest brother being pretty noisy at her age (who does have ADHD), too, but he got a handle on it by the time he was a teenager, so I'm hoping the same will happen...
My DD has been arguing since she first learned to communicate. The good news is at almost 7 the arguing has subsided a lot and there isn't quite so much anger and tears on her part. The bad news is, though, I'm pretty sure she argues for fun now, which drives me batty because I absolutely hate arguing. I find it very draining. She especially likes to argue about things that have nothing to do with her or just plain don't matter, like whether or not it's really okay for...