or Connect

Posts by suziek

I've just read this post. I've got to send my kids off to bed but I'll be back.   I know it seems impossible. But it isn't. I promise. I really like to encourage people who already are toying with the idea of going tv free (and only people who are thinking of it because almost no one wants to hear about it otherwise)  to go for it. It's really one of the best parenting decisions I've ever made.   You can do it. Really.
My children rarely ever ask for a movie, and when they do I put them off with a "let's see what the weekend brings" or "okay, we'll be at the library later in the week and we'll pick out something" or something like that. Sometimes we'll follow through and sometimes we forget.   We --or they-- will end up watching something about once every three weeks. It is a big event, and what we watch is usually worth the time (there was a brief period when Scooby Doo was the...
Wise, and true I am sure. I'm going to dig out a couple of boy books.   I like this: "I keep trying to channel patience and understanding during the times when I get the eye rolls, this is "booooring" comments, too cool for school attitudes. Sometimes really hard to do!! On the other hand I hold firm to my expectations of polite behavior, chores, family obligations and the like. With so much changing in his life (onset of puberty, hormonal shifts, more pressure at...
My 10 year old is adopting this dreadful slacker attitude about many things. He wants to half-step on his chores, school work, music--even his family social interactions are full of rolled eyes, bored sighs and general poor attitude.   Advice? I'd like to see a little self-motivation and work ethic here, but if that is not forthcoming parental pressure will have to do. What has worke for you?h   DH is about to head out for a month, so I'm flying solo.   DS is...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/technology/21brain.html?_r=1&hp
Hi there, I haven't been here for a while (trying to spend less time online) but I hope everyone is well.   I just posted this under parenting but I thought some of you might have some advice.   Simplicity Parenting by  Kim John Payne   I just started reading Simplicity Parenting by  Kim John Payne, and it has really given me pause. That said, I'm struggling with how to apply its principles. Our toys a pretty pared down at this point, as are...
I just started reading this book, and it has really given me pause. That said, I'm struggling with how to apply its principles. Our toys a pretty pared down at this point, as are clothes. I'd never pare down books. Ever. But we have five kids and the book seemed to be written with smaller familes in mind. It really is a trick to balance the needs of older and younger kids, to have down time but still let kids try things (like ice skating or violin).   Anyone...
I just started reading this book, and it has really given me pause. That said, I'm struggling with how to apply its principles. Our toys a pretty pared down at this point, as are clothes. I'd never pare down books. Ever. But we have five kids and the book seemed to be written with smaller familes in mind. It really is a trick to balance the needs of older and younger kids, to have down time but still let kids try things (like ice skating or violin).   Anyone BTDT? I...
I would say just do it. Just put the thing in the basement, closet, under some blankets, whatever. I'm only saying this because you asked, and because you sound like you really really want to be (mainly) TV free. I promise you a week after cold turkey, tv-free will be the new norm. We've done this many time with many different things over the years. (For example, with sugar, plain noddles with butter, nursing (an older toddler) to sleep, bottles of milk in the...
time of wonder--I agree. Great. I just read the Pillars of the Earth and World Without End--I was so obsessed with reading these my kids were reduced to eating sandwiches and looking after each other. Am now reading Wolf Den--Based in Henry vIII's court, great so far. Winner of england's Booker Prize Snowflower and the Secret Fan--women, china and I think the 11th century. Perfect book.