or Connect

Posts by OnEarth

How do you make it work? Does only one parent work and the other one unschools? I know there are some single parent unschoolers out there. I'm just wondering if I can juggle the working/unschooling/parenting/being a human being myself.   Edited for clarity, my story didn't seem relevant.
We hear a lot of the negatives, but I'm curious what you think are the positive benefits to your family (besides the $ or the promise of future $) that come from working outside of the home or being a student parent.
This is really interesting to see where people took this. I personally wasn't thinking of basic necessities as that which is only necessary to sustain life. I meant something like the basic minimum to sustain life at a very basic functional level in the modern world. We're all on the internet, so obviously to some extent we participate in modern life. For instance, I do actually consider internet to be a basic necessity in our society, not a luxury, I need it for school...
You have a good point, I was really more interested in the question of basic necessities vs. luxuries, rather than utilities which I think just confused the issue. I edited my original question a little for clarity.  
I am curious as to what people consider to be things that aren't luxuries and that you think of as basic necessities, in terms of monthly or yearly expenditures.   These aren't mine specifically but I'm imagining the list would include rent/mortgage/home cost, electric, gas, water, trash for everyone but then there's cell phones vs. landlines, internet, cable, health insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, chiropractor/homeopathic treatments, vitamins,...
This can be hard if you're cosleeping but try getting up in the mornings to study instead of doing it late into the evening. Even if you are operating on the same number of hours of interrupted sleep you are going to be much more fresh for absorbing info right when you wake up. Let your DH handle the last few hours of them "sleeping" and disappear into wherever you get your studying done, hopefully behind a door that closes. If you're pumping that can help a lot- he'll...
Total deferrer, with a bit of hoarding. Actually my husband is the hoarder but he'd say the same thing about me No margarine containers, but I saw wrapping paper, and shipping stuff, to be fair I actually do end up using most of that stuff. I'm going to pretend it's not me and it's really my lack of adequate storage. Is there a category for in denial?
Those symbols are rather cheerful, sometimes I envision them when I'm doing these tasks and they crack me up. Kudos to you for doing what it takes to make your house a happy place for you. We are rooting for you, you can do it!
I know that sounds harsh, but really it sounds like he is the most stressful thing in your life. He needs to get it together, and if he refuses he doesn't deserve the privilege of being your DH. If he doesn't pull it together at the very least it sounds like you need to separate from him, and if that isn't enough for him you might need to consider whether his drama/abuse is worth it to you. Mama issues are not an excuse. If you aren't expecting any assistance, not...
I would go ahead and get one, if you have the money for it why not? As for the toaster oven- we have a regular toaster oven with no slots for toast, and we use it to make regular toast in addition to everything else. I think I can fit four slices of bread in there at a time. You could probably get a better quality single function toaster oven without the slice section for less money and still make toast. Just saying. Oh, and we use our toaster oven almost every single...