or Connect

Posts by NataliaI

Of course safety first!  I did not mean in any way to imply that we should not keep our children safe.   My son is 10 and has a decent amount of language, so things have changed a lot over the years.   With young children (SN or NT) we do need to keep them close.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.   Editing to add:  The location is a factor too.  I would not give my child freedom to roam in Disneyland or any big public place. 
My son likes to "go for long walks."  We've discussed numerous times that I need to be told first.   It is very scary the first few times they wander off.  I think the only prevention is constant vigilance.  Eventually though, a bit of letting go is useful too.    I highly recommend the book Gift of Fear to gain perspective on how to determine what is really dangerous "out there."
Why do you want a diagnosis?  What will it do for you?  For your son?   I think that if he is in school, a diagnosis will likely be helpful.  You can then seek services or accommodations if he ever needs them.   If your mother-intuition is telling you that this would be helpful, do it!
Who cares what people say?  Why do they need to know he is autistic?   I don't feel the need to explain my children's behavior to people.  People who judge will judge regardless of diagnosis.   It takes a while to get to this place.    What are your discipline concerns?  How does his being autistic change things?   All behavior is communication.  Knowing that he is unusually sensitive is helpful.  But even when a child is presumed NT, why should be punish...
There is a recent thread on this forum about anxiety in kids that might give you some ideas.   Do you ever use homeopathic remedies?  Your daughter might do well with a few doses of phosphorus.
They can and will ask children to leave.  We were asked to leave even though there was no danger or significant disruption.  We got a line about them not being able to meet her needs.   Visit the school.  Be honest about your child.  Ask many questions. 
Montessori schools vary greatly.  Reading about philosophy is great.  The best way to see if they are a fit for your child is to visit and observe.  Be open and realistically envision how your child will fit into the environment.   I know that many people love their Montessori schools and I have loved ours too.  But now all schools (teachers) are able to handle atypical children.
That's a good reason to seek a label.   You know what though?  YOU are the one who will ultimately know what your child needs.  Reading other's experiences and tools will give you ideas.  It is a good thing.    But as you keep reading about methods and watching your child, you will figure it out.    If your main concern for a 5 yo is reading, read some info about late readers.  I know there is a huge push for kids to read early now and that many of them do...
Support your child by feeding him nourishing foods, giving cell salts, and restoring balance with homeopathy.   How old is he?   Find a way to explain the rules for the park before you go.  Involve him in coming up with ways for him to express his frustration in an appropriate way.   "If another kid is bothering you, you can tell me and I will help you."   "If you need a break from the park or the kids, tell me and we can go for a walk or go...
I also saw huge improvements with behavior with homeopathic treatment.  So much that I eventually studied homeopathy.   Amy Lansky's book is good.  To get a really good feel for what homeopathy an do for our children I highly recommend Judyth and Robert Ullman's books, Ritalin-Free Kids and A Drug-Free Approach to Aspergers Syndrome and Autism.  Your child does not need the diagnosis for you to benefit from the book.  Homeopathy isn't about diagnosis but about...