or Connect

Posts by abqbabylove

Hi everyone! The great poet Shel Silverstein had his b-day yesterday, and I wrote a silly baby-related poem on my blog in his honor - Lady Named Carlos. Hope you get a laugh!   "Well, This Stinks"   Baby N was out good, asleep on my lap, As I fried my brain with T.V., When up through the air, rose a terrible stench— What could that nastiness be?   I gave a sniff in the diaperous region— (The culprit I first suspected) But the baby was as sweet as a...
I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with a preschooler who has shown aggression towards her baby sister. My gut reaction when ODD hits or pushes or otherwise harasses YDD is an anger that rises up so fiercely with a desire to protect my baby that I find myself yelling or otherwise acting aggressively in return - clearly not a positive solution! All that does is escalate the problem and make our day worse, with ODD acting out even more.  Recently I read somewhere...
I am also replying to hopefully read what others have to say, as I am in the same situation. My ODD will be 4 in August, and the baby is 4 months. She seems to wildly vacillate from wanting to hug, hold, and adore the baby to being aggressive towards her. Usually I say, "look at her crying! How do you think she feels?" and then reiterate that we love each other and have to treat each other gently. I say that I would never let anyone hurt her, and that I can't let her...
Hi kdaisy, sounds like things have been tough at your house - we've been there too! We also use a modified version of timeout. Originally, I did the "stay there for 3 minutes" thing, like others have mentioned, but often when the time was up, my daughter would go into hysterics. So it wasn't serving to calm her down or be an effective consequence. Then I switched to calling it "calm-down" time, so I would ask her to go to her room to calm down and have some quiet time....
Hi everyone, I'm a mom to a 3yo and 4-mo-old. My ODD seemed to adjust pretty well once her baby sister was born, but the last month or two she's really been rebelling, resisting everything, being aggressive towards the baby, rejecting our love and positive reinforcement, basically just going through a tough time. Plus, her sleep has been messed up, which affects daytime behavior, which affects sleep....it's been a blast!   Anyway, I've really been working hard on...
Awesome - thank you for sharing! Looks like a good one to add to my collection!    
Oh, sister, I feel for you! My DD is only 3, but when I was pregnant last year (YDD is four months old), I thought I was going to absolutely lose my mind. Hormones are not fun! And, like you, our most challenging things were getting dressed, getting out the door, getting in the car - all those routine things you do over and over.   Here are a few things that have worked for me (well, it's still an ongoing process, I won't lie!.... ).   1. My DD likes to do...
Thanks for the advice, ladies. @Identitycrisismama - yes, it's good to keep in mind that this will be a process - probably a long one!   @lisavark - that is GENIUS!! I, too, have avoided the princesses, but DD loves them, and I've used them to my advantage in the past - I even have a blog post about it! (See Got Sleep? if you're interested.) I think that is a great way to talk to her about manners! I do have a magical grandma, too, maybe I'll see if she can help me...
Hi there. I've read various posts in different places about people not wanting to teach their children manners, along the lines of not wanting to force them to do something, but rather to have them take the initiative themselves. (For example, why force a child to say "I'm sorry" if they don't really mean it). I'm not sure if this is exactly the gist of it - please feel free to elaborate if you want!   Anyway, I do think that manners are important, at least in saying...
My oldest and youngest are about the same age as yours - my daughter will be 4 in August, and the baby is 4 months old. I CANNOT IMAGINE if I had a 2-year-old in the middle! I was feeling this morning like you are - stressed, overwhelmed, chaotic, when will Daddy get home, and it's not even 9 in the morning! With us, my older daughter is just a real handful lately - very uncooperative, constantly ignores everything I say, and just pushes, pushes, pushes until I'm at my...