or Connect

Posts by thebassomatic76

I really wish I had been able to get in touch with this birth network two years ago when I was having my daughter in Carbondale.  Her birthday is today, actually.  My husband actually apologized to me after our experience at Carbondale Memorial and said he would never again make me do that in a hospital and that he was sorry for not just supporting me in an unassisted homebirth in the first place.  :( We ended up leaving Illinois completely and moving to Florida when...
Thanks kltroy.  I'm nearly done with this pregnancy but I will try attending a meeting in person in the future and see if that gets better results.  It's entirely possible that what I asked or how I phrased it left my contacts unsure of what I was looking for, so I'll try to keep that in mind too.  Thanks for the info on BirthNetworkNational also--I have never heard of that until you mentioned it.  Will definitely look into that one next time too. 
  Apologies to the OP, this is off topic, but: Does this routinely work for women who are not VBAC moms?  I'm asking because I see it recommended from time to time and had it recommeded to me (I am not a VBAC mom).  I both contacted ICAN myself, and had a friend of mine who is a VBAC mom contact ICAN for me (because I was told they are familiar with mother friendly docs), and when it became clear I have not had a c-section, they stopped responding to me completely in any...
Mostly the same as the posters above:   #1:  Get a doula.  Although there are lots of great doulas who are just starting out, in your situation I recommend trying to find one with at least a few births under her belt at the location you plan to deliver at.  She may be able to help you get the staff to be a little more flexible if they are famililar with her (and on good terms with her).  If they know her, and know she knows the policies, it's also less likely they...
Thanks, I'm going to have a beautiful birth no matter what happens, I've already decided.  :)  I'm using Mem Hospital in Carbondale.  I only live a couple blocks from there and I figured if I really don't want to be in a hospital anyway, might as well choose the one most convenient to us.  I am using a doula from Carterville who has doula'd at Memorial and given birth there herself, so she has some familiarity with the hospital and some of the staff, which I find...
The suggestions here are great, and I really appreciated the list of hospital "positives" that was posted.  Thank you ladies so much.  No, this is definitely not the same hospital as before (thank goodness).  I'm not even in the same state, or same part of the country.  I did not have a doula the first time (although I tried to find one) and I do have one this time, who has not only doula'd at this hospital but delivered there herself, so she has some familiarity with...
Thanks again to all of you, especially those who have shared their positive hospital birth experiences.  It's helpful to hear different perspectives to help me reframe the situation from more than just my singular viewpoint.  You have all been very encouraging and helped me to accept this for what it is as well as expect the best.  I do have a doula, I have discussed my birth plan with my OB (who seems pretty supportive of my requests), I have spoken to the nurse manager...
Hi babyshotton!  I didn't post on this particular thread, but I live in Carbondale (moved here mid-pregnancy in Jan) and I too deeply wanted a homebirth.  I started looking last year and posted about it on MDC then.  I would have loved a waterbirth at home, but even just a homebirth would have been a dream come true.  Unfortunately, what the above poster said about finding a HB midwife down here is true--it is VERY VERY VERY hard to get any information.  I have no doubt...
OP, that is an incredible story.  I deeply admire your courage and strength in spite of all the unexpected complications.  Thanks for sharing.    It may be the standard, but that does not mean it happens even most of the time.  Particularly in areas where there are limited access to care, such as where I gave birth to my son, there seem to be no consequences to unprofessionalism.  I will be SHOCKED if my desires for a natural birth are even given the appearance of...
Yep, Wayne Mem. is where I delivered.  While in the end, I did for the most part have the birth I worked for, there were some bad attitudes and unprofessionalism that I had to overcome in order to do it.  There were ultimately a few other post birth issues for baby and I that resulted, I believe, from the policies and procedures at that hospital, at that time.  I don't know much about Pitt in Greenville, as I never used the hospital.  I saw an OB/GYN there once for...