or Connect

Posts by mommy55

Totally recommend the Guide to Lesbian Conception, referenced above.  We inseminated at home and that book was very helpful.   We used frozen sperm - shipped to our home, no medical professionals, no medication, etc.   It took 5 attempts the first time - we were on our 3rd donor by the 5th attempt.   It worked on the first attempt the second time - honestly, I feel a big part of this (beyond good timing, statistics, good sperm, etc.) is just KNOWING your...
Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception = great book!  I'm big into info/research/details.  I basically read that cover to cover - it took a while, but I think it was well worth it.  I learned a ton about ovulation and really learned to pay attention to my body.   My "favorite" method was tracking my temp - it takes dedication b/c you have to get up at the same time every day to take your temp.  We bought a $10 thermometer at the drug store and tracked that for...
great idea!  We legally changed names in '09 when I was pregnant with our first child.  We're both attached to our legal surnames, so we hyphenated......and it's pretty much a nightmare!  I also have a double first name, which makes my name even worse.  No one EVER gets it right.  And in our state, they won't hyphenate on a driver's license, for example, so I always get called by HER surname!  Same on credit card, medical insurance, etc.  The combo of my first name and...
We bought 12 bumGenius diapers for baby #2 and realized we're entirely too lazy/busy to do this a 2nd time.  We pre-washed all of these, but he actually only wore 6 of them (one time each).   They're obviously in great shape.   4 orange ("clementine") 2 dark blue 2 dark green 4 "fancy" designs - 2 red & white, 2 black & white
I just came across this thread.  I live in Chattanooga.....and the city has gotten some good press recently.  I agree - it is a really great city.  I think it's a bit like Asheville, but I've only visited A'ville a couple of times so couldn't offer a very thorough comparison.  There's a lot to do here - tons of outdoorsy stuff - hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, etc. etc.  We have a nice aquarium, art museum on the river, kids' museum, some great restaurants, etc.  I...
Sorry - I forgot to include a crucial piece of info yesterday when I posted about our costs in TN.  We got almost every penny back in the form of a tax refund.  The IRS changed adoption rules a couple of years ago (or perhaps even just for 2010 returns).  My partner adopted my bio baby, so she included the adoption in her return.  It took until August 2011 (after filing in February or March) but she got a refund of almost all the adoption costs - I don't think we...
Just wanted to throw in some info about the cost of ours - we're in TN, so no civil unions, marriage, etc.  But we did a same-sex 2nd parent adoption in 2010.   The approximate costs: legal $1,900 social worker  $1,300 court fees  $200 other (finger prints, background checks)  $200     That was for our first adoption.  The 2nd one will be about $1,800 less b/c both the lawyer and social worker give a discount for repeat customers!
  William Alan, born 11/19/11.
William Alan arrived on Saturday the 19th.  Sweet little boy.....much more stubborn about labor/delivery than his older brother, but once he dropped, he arrived quickly.  All home as of last night and enjoying our quiet time.   Congrats to everyone on their babies and good luck to those of you still waiting.
I wanted to reply to your initial post, but wasn't sure how "valid" my feelings were.  Mine is a different situation, in that I lost 2 friends in a short period.  I know that this is nothing like losing family members, but I just wanted to put my thoughts out there for you.  My best friend died in July 2010 after a month-long illness.  It was relatively sudden and completely heart-breaking.  Another good friend died 6 months later after a years-long battle with cancer....