or Connect

Posts by erigeron

Have you talked to him about why you feel the vaxes are necessary (to keep him from getting sick)? Talked through what to expect when he goes in to get the shot? Are you or your partner or another teen/adult family member or close friend in need of a shot and he could accompany you to get it, to see what the procedure is like and see that you don't freak out about it? Could you couple it to something desirable (go buy a giant lollipop and he can eat it before, during, &...
Try the wizard of oz series. The bad guys try to fight but the good guys are pretty good at coming up with nonviolent solutions.
Would have totally freaked me out at that age--I hid my face during certain scenes in the movie as an adult. But I think the fact that there's a movie might actually help with this. Perhaps you could rent the movie, watch it with him, pause it before upsetting scenes and explain to him what's about to happen, and see how he handles it, then go from there. The plot IS sick and twisted, but it's not like the "bad guys" don't ultimately get their comeuppance; it certainly...
At the time, though, I was just before the cutoff. When I first started kindergarten, the cutoff was in December. Then we moved almost immediately (within a month) and in our new state the cutoff was at the end of October, and that was where they offered my mom the option to hold me back. There was one kid younger than me in my class in first grade; his birthday was two days after mine. So we both made the cutoff but just barely. Throughout school I was in classes with...
I wonder about this. I was young for my grade (October b-day) and my mom felt I was too advanced to keep out of kindergarten. While overall I did well, I had a lot of issues in school academically and socially that I think would have been helped by an extra year to mature. BUT, I think those issues were mostly due to bad parenting and they could also have been solved that way. My daughter is a June birthday so with the way the cutoff dates have changed, I'll face the same...
I just do baked potatoes in the microwave now. Is there a difference between these crockpot ones and the conventional oven- or microwave-cooked variety? 
I like EnviroBecca's idea of easing him into the program. Also part of it could be, if he's never been in a group care setting before, it sounds big and unfamiliar when you describe it. He might react differently when he is actually there.    I wonder if less notice might actually be better? Get him into the car and then say offhand, oh, I thought we'd go check out that preschool and see what we think. And then just drop in and see how he feels about it, if he's...
I don't care if people have negative opinions, but I just wouldn't want to send him out unprepared for that possibility, kwim? 
Not much progress here. She will sit on and occasionally use the potty at preschool. Not really that interested at home. Between a huge project for my husband at work and now a new baby, we haven't had the bandwidth to devote to this. I wish I had seen that 'diaper fairy' idea months ago! I wonder if I could modify it in terms of giving the diapers to baby brother now. 
My boy is too young to have a preference, but if he wants to wear a dress when he's older I'm ok with it. If he is going out among people I'd discuss with him that people might have negative reactions or mistake him for a girl, and that he should be prepared for that.