or Connect

Posts by HannahJ

This is so bizarre, that it must be shared...   A stranger in a store once told me that it's best to not get a baby too dependent on breast milk (and to do formula instead) just in case something happens to the mom.     ???   with that logic, I assume it is also best to, you know, not hug your child too much because if you're killed tragically then at least the kid isn't dependent on all that snuggling... and therefore adjusts to your death much easier!  It's always...
thanks, everyone! so helpful.   Yes, I think he'd do well w/ some of the Montessori philosophy around order.  And it really does make sense to me, especially at this age in particular.  Hey, I love order!  Can't blame him one bit on that.
My toddler is 2 1/2   Just curious if this is my son's personality/character, or if it is more of an age thing.  He is extremely particular about things being in the right place, my doing things in a certain way, etc.  I guess examples are warranted here:   If I sit down for a meal in the chair his dad usually occupies... "don't sit there. that's papa's chair"  and then extremely insistent that I move.   laying out his pajamas in a very particular way before he gets...
Well, I have good news for the bleach-crotch sisterhood (of which I am a member myself)...   It's likely caused by a hydrogen-peroxide-producing bacteria.   And at least according to this study, some of those bacteria are thought to be possibly beneficial to the vaginal ecosystem:   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC267286/   And it is a very common phenomenon (as beautifully illustrated in this hilarious thread)   However, if you're having any symptoms...
This one has been a hit multiple times in our house...   http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1882   And Whole Foods has some other great ones, many of which are "throw in the pot" type of recipes (these are my favorite kind too)...   http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/site_search/slow%20cooker
No, and I didn't know such a thing existed!     I don't actually own a pressure canner yet because I don't want to buy one without knowing I can properly use it.  The one I am looking at, though, has a 15" diameter base.   Off to look into this idea more   thank you!
Ah, i thought you meant dried beans right into the crockpot.  Sorry, my ears just perk up any time I hear of something with the fewest steps possible!  Although I suppose one could put all ingredients into the pot overnight (that being the soak step) and then start the crockpot in the morning.... 
Thanks so much for your reply, Arduinna.  Can you tell me what you mean when you say it's not a good idea... do you mean from a safety perspective (ie, not getting the canner up to the correct pressure or temp) or do you mean that you think it would harm the cooktop?   I would never have chosen an induction cooktop if it had been up to me.  I think this thing is such a hassle.
I've got so much sympathy for this.  It's hard to cook good healthy whole foods... even recipes that are seemingly simple... with all the chopping, prepping and then clean-up, it truly is exhausting.  Meal planning will definitely help.  it helps to keep you organized and will mean that you can prep the night before or morning of, making it so that  not everything needs to be done at once during the hectic evening hours.  It also prevents that... "oh no, i don't have any...
We love:   daal w/ rice and a vegetable beans and rice w/ side of steamed cabbage black bean soup w/ bread and a veg. on the side   I'm noticing they're all bean dishes!     we also do a lot of tofu stir fry w/ rice noodles or over rice, but I bet that realistically comes out to more than $5 a meal   It's the protein that I find keeps the cost of the meals high.  We prefer organic/ pasture raised, which is so expensive that we really only eat meat 1-2 times a...